Is diabetes just ONE of the conditions on your list? Join us!

Thank you for the welcome. I've had Diabetes for about 5 years and controlled it by diet and exercise. I've totally changed my diet to mostly vegetables & beans. I eat both eggs and cheese but no other dairy-no soy. I drink Almond or Coconut milk. In January 2012 I was diagnosed with DCIS. Based on my age (I am 88) I declined to have a mastectomy. preferring to watch and wait. The doc did a needle biopsy and a core biopsy and could not find any aggressive cancer cells. Despite this clinical evidence he pushed a "simple" mastectomy but did put me on aromatase inhibitor. Nevertheless, I changed doctors. New man (Dr.Hetzel) is an oncologist. The medication has been very successful. The tumor has reduced by 75%.Dr.H agrees-no surgery, watch and wait. I'm happy. I take Metformin-not for D but for ca. I find no difference in how I feel. I have NO side effects from any of meds(also have HBP which is totally controlled by meds, diet & exercise too. Of course diet and exercise are excellent for whatever ails us. I am a little concerned about my protein intake. Veggie protein is ok for ca but animal protein is very bad according to "The China Study", Dr. Colin Campbell. That probably means I should stop the eggs and cheese. So far I feel fine and my fam.doc is satisfied with my numbers. A1c is 6.2, Cholesterol is 194, triglicerides 68. I will be seeing both doctors twice a year. As with any of my ills, I prefer to use natural means to deal with them. Diet, exercise and supplements/vitamins. If anyone else is dealing with this same situation, I'd love to hear of your experience.

Great Alice. Which of the three cholesterol numbers was 194?

I use supplements to handle everything health wise, so can make suggestions.

Here are my numbers
Total Cholesterol:
4.44 mmol/L = 173.16 mg/dL

LDL Cholesterol:
2.11 mmol/L = 82.29 mg/dL

HDL Cholesterol:
2.15 mmol/L = 83.85 mg/dL

Triglycerides:
0.39 mmol/L = 34.71 mg/dL

Chol/HDL Ratio:

My triglycerides are very low due to an extremely low carb diet. I use plenty of antioxidants to balance free radicals and so my cholesterol production drops on it's own. Have perfect liver and kidney health and am the same weight I was 32 years ago. I'm 56 years old. I eat beef most of the time, but chicken too and salads and vegetables for carbs. I avoid starches, except some beans in an occasional chilli. I eat nuts for snacks, and vegetable juice for reactions.

Hi again Alice...
Finding a physician is quite a task...they're hard to come by and many people settle for clinics, as there is often no other option. We had fired our first G.P. for his ineptitude, then a friend who is a doctor herself (but didn't have her own practice), said that a colleague (the dr who was to eventually be ours) "owed her one"!! So, though his was a closed practice, he took our whole family...4 of us at the time. Grant you, we didn't get to choose, but fared off "relatively" well (if you're a guy). He seems to side with my husband's concerns though, and generally poo poos mine. When I first began seeing him that 15 years ago, he dx pre-diabetes. It took everything for him to suggest that it is NOW actual diabetes. His words..."It wont be diabetes till it's 11 ( that's 198 by U.S. standards) meaning my fasting bg. My fasting having been about 9. The doc was reluctant to attribute it to diabetes. He thought it might be more related to hypoglycemia, as I was prone to lows (still am). He had even said at one point "You don't have diabetes, you don't even have impaired glucose." Then he caught himself and said "Well, I guess it is impaired". Since then has referred to it as diabetes only once (I should have taped it!!), but also says "they're a little high...or a little low". I didn't dare challenge or question him, as I may not have been able to find another dr. I have more than diabetes, there's asthma, Raynaud, hypertension, gallbladder issues, migraines and other "stuff", and I guess he thinks that either I'm exaggerating, or fabricating, I don't know, but I don't see him often, because well... it's almost pointless. The same doc suffered a heart attack 2 years ago, and till now had shortened his hours and acquired another doc to help him out. However, it isn't enough and is closing his practice. We received notification of this in the mail, and the young doctor who was his partner is taking on many of his patients. We've opted to go that route....and I pray that we've made the correct choice. I also see a massage therapist and physiotherapy.
linda

Welcome Belinz!!
Very nice to have you in our corner :)

Could you tell us a bit about yourself Belinz??

Oh it's snowing like mad again and I am so so so tired of it....PLEASE....can there be an early Spring!!!

Don't worry Linda... Spring is just around the corner!!

At least you're not alone if you're sick of winter...

Thank you so much Judith!!!!

Judith can you take out one of the http:// so that clicking on the link will work. It's because when providing a link, they already have one in there, so that's how two ended up in the link.

How very odd!! I was able to enter that site yesterday, however today...no go! Let's blame it on the time change ;)

Hey PJ....WELCOME to our little corner :)
I have a friend in the city in which I live who has
fibro...I helped her at HER support group...and she helped me at my diabetes group.

Hey Sugar Free....so nice to have you in our little corner :)
I was on Imitrex for migraines for well over 20 years...then started getting stroke like symptoms and went off it. Now taking Tramadol...but I don't like the way it makes me feel.
Just sick achy feel. How are the asthma meds with your bg?
Take care....and big hugs!!

Nice to have you in our little corner IChoose. Could you share a bit about yourself?

You qualify Dave D. ;)
Delighted to have you with us!!

Thanks Linda. :)

How many of you are bothered by allergies/sensitivities now that spring is here...or if you live in the southern hemisphere, how is autumn affecting you?

YW Dave :)

My allergies are just kicking in. I live in the woods and am surrounded by moldy bark. Cottonwood trees will be out soon and I'll be sneezing like crazy. It will be interesting to see how my new designer Flonase with the allergy medicine, called Dymista, will work this season. I can feel the swelling, but not as bad as I used too. :)