Is it basal or bolus dosage that is wrong?

Yes I get the concept. The thing is with FOTF it doesn’t happen at a specific time like the dawn phenomenon, it happens when I actually physically get up from bed. So it’s a bit hard to factor in the insulin as part of the basal amount, I usually factor it in as my bolus. If I factor in the basal amount, it will be wrong anyway because I may not get up the same time every day. And FOTF also doesn’t happen for me everyday so putting it in the basal will send my readings off.

1 Like

A lot of T2 get that. Feet on floor liver dump, You could do that correction with your breakfast bolus. See what is suggested?

@tedos I am getting more of a FOTF versus DP lately. It is harder to basal test, but you can still do it say for most of the day from 2 :00 pm to 8 am and it will give you an idea.

I have been having a huge FOTF and I looked at the patterns for when it has always started and gave a small increase for an hour and then a huge increase for 2 hours. But yes if it’s irregular, just do the testing for the rest of the day time periods. It will tell you the right basal base rate for the most part and then you make the adjustments in boluses for the morning as needed.

2 Likes

Have you noticed a pattern to what causes your FOTF?

I have never really been able to pinpoint a definite reason. Sometimes DP, sometimes FOTF, sometimes both and sometimes neither. Usually they last for a certain amount of time. The only thing I know that’s a definite is when I forget to take my supplements for my thyroid I am worse, even just 1 or sometimes 2 days. If I don’t take them for weeks, I definitely get DP and it just keeps getting worse the longer I skip.

I was very erratic for a month or two following a dry socket with a tooth experience. It wasn’t bad, but it really messed with my BG levels. A few days of nothing, a few days of really bad DP, or FOTF, no patterns, no knowing what it was going to be. Luckily I went back to a more normal pattern at least.

1 Like

Thanks. Mmmnnn…that’s really strange. Im going to start seeing whether I can notice a pattern too. I’ll let you know if I find anything.

Tedos, don’t be so hard on yourself. You are not a machine! You are a human being with emotions and hormones who (I hope!) eats different meals and gets slightly different exercise each day. Your levels WILL vary during the day and – because of stress or a meal or exercise – slightly at night. You are worried about FOTF rises in the morning. THAT IS NORMAL. If you took your blood pressure, you would find that it also rises when you first get up in the morning. That is your body just getting ready to face the day and to get going with life. My Endo would say that you are in wonderful overall control. Yes, keep and eye on things, but remember that you are a human being first who just happens to have diabetes. Don’t let the condition totally rule your life by being afraid to do anything or eat anything or experience something new that might make your levels go up or down a little bit. I repeat, you are not a machine. I have been diabetic for over 54 years, and you will see many things in your life that will cause you to adjust your dosages. A new job, meeting new people, a changed medical condition, a new hobby, required maintenance on your property, a new love, etc. all will mess with your levels. Roll with the punches, and ENJOY your life. I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Oh thank you, that’s very kind of you.

:scream: look at my steady line. It’s been like this since 4pm and it’s now 8pm. I thought my sensor was broken I actually did a finger prick to confirm :joy: . I ended up leveraging this for basal testing and skipped dinner because I was on a roll.

But I can almost be certain that tomorrow won’t be this dead straight. So I’m not sure what this says about my basal setting.:sweat:

Well it looks like that basal setting is great. How did the rest of the night go?

I tanked about midnight :sweat_smile: so it’s a restart point from there. But the thing is midnight should be easy to lock down because by that time the dinner bolus should be out of the system and so I “thought” I had this one locked down because 90% of the time this is in basal testing mode by default.

But like I said I can’t seem to get consistency over time, what I think is proven by basal testing is correct gets contradicted later. Even the straight line last night is unlikely to repeat itself in the next basal test.

In my experience my hormones will change all the time and a basal rate that was good yesterday isn’t guaranteed to work today. Tonight I went low twice both before and after dinner when after dinner is usually a time where I am more likely to fight highs. Control IQ makes a big difference though since I just need to be in the ballpark for it to smooth things out.

I think when Control IQ gets to Australia you will really benefit from it. Until then just keep trying to maintain an even keel and use temp basals whenever you think you need them.

1 Like

Those damn hormones! The irony is, I’m trying to get my dosage right in prep for control IQ because that plays a big role. :smiley: Its going to be interesting. :smiley: