Is it me or is my Endo wrong?

I was having a lot of highs, so I called my endo. We’ve been adjusting for the last week and a half. My bs are now running low. I wake up low and 3 hours after breakfast I’m low. Just added a few changes to my basal and he wants me to try this out for 2 weeks before anymore changes. Not to mention tomorrow I’m having outpatient surgery done. I already know to do a temp basal during the procedure. Should I really wait that long for any changes especially since I 1. wake up low and have been for the last week and 2. after my breakfast my 2 hour post is good but after that I’m low until lunch. As a matter of fact I’m low right now and have felt that way for the last hour. And yes I’ve drank juice not once but twice now. Not sure, maybe just take it a day at a time?

Antonia,

Is your question: Should you wait for two weeks before making any changes? I’m a big proponent of learning as much as I can as a diabetic and then making the changes myself. I update my endo about these changes during my quarterly appointments. Of course, if I feel an urgent need to consult with the doctor then I could call him.

That being said, in order for a diabetic to makes insulin changes, s/he must understand what is going on. If you haven’t already, I recommend reading Think Like A Pancreas by Gary Scheiner and Pumping Insulin by John Walsh. Once you understand the concepts in these books you can begin to make changes and then observe the result. The result will inform your next move. It’s a cycle that never ends.

Diabetes is a moment-to-moment disease. If you want to maintain tight control then it’s not practical to consult a doctor whenever you need an insulin change. I make several changes every day.

Good luck.

Terry

As far as the reason for the lows that you’re currently experiencing, the simple answer is that you have too much insulin. You need to adjust either the insulin to carbohydrate ratio ( Do you count carbs?) or the the basal rate. The books that I recommended go into plenty of detail about how to do this. I would not wait two weeks before making a change if I was experiencing as many lows as you describe. If you don’t feel comfortable making these decisions yourself then call your doctor.

As far as your surgery goes, your goal should be to maintain target BGs during the procedure and immediate recovery period with a bias toward running higher instead of going low. The doctors and nurses should be closely monitoring your BGs.

I had a minor surgery performed last summer and I kept my glucose meter nearby and stayed connected to my pump. I also had some glucose tabs available.

Terry