Is It Me?

You would think the EASIEST part of the diabetes regimen would be to change all of the supplies. How difficult is it to throw away all of the used test strips, pokey and needle tips from the day? I find myself saying ” The trash can is RIGHT BEHIND YOU. If you just spun around on your heels and took ONE step then lifted the lid……” From watching Marty I realized this is most likely a kid thing and not just a Kelsey thing.

When Marty was first diagnosed I spent time explaining a (what I thought) simple process that has been completely lost on my daughter. “Ok, so at the end of the day you just throw away your test strips if you have piled them up, your pokey and your needle tip. That way it will all be ready for you and you won’t have to think about it when you are foggy in the morning.” That lasted a week. Maybe.

For the past two weeks I have just waited to see how far this obliviousness (is that a word?) would go. Yesterday morning, neither kid can get blood out of their fingers. So they move to their arms……it turns into a sick race to see who can draw blood first. Then there is me on the side lines doing my sarcastic Mom bit ” You know….it COULD be that the pokey is dull…since I am pretty sure it hasn’t been changed in a while…I’m just sayin’”. as now the race has turned into who can change their pokey and still draw blood first.

I guess in the grand scheme of things it’s not that big of a deal. (Except when I open their kit to review numbers and about 40 used test strips fall on the floor.) I don’t know what I expect. If they changed their supplies without a nagging reminder they probably would pick up their socks, put their dishes away, rinse the toothpaste out of the sink and we wouldn’t want peaceful harmony in the house, would we???

Read more at www.thediabeticduo.com

If you figure this out, please tell me the secret so my husband will put the toilet seat down. Guess kids (& the rest of us) have to rebel in some way.

I feel for you. It silly how the small things just wear on us and start to really bug us. I don’t change my pokey very often. Throwing my test strips away is easy enough. That little pouch is rather conducive to just leave them in their though. I’m a little OCD, so I’m right there with you. You are like, hello, isn’t this obvious, it’s not that hard; it makes life go that much smoother…. Still, this is too funny. I can’t wait to have my own kids. Trip them up…. OK, the winner of this little race gets to mow the lawn tomorrow.

I actually like the fact that they compete. They compete on numbers too, but Marty has learned to be humble since I explained that life is a little different for him. His day is coming and I am nervous about two teenage diabetics in my house. You should read my post today about my daughters low and trying to cook…yeesh. www.thediabeticduo.com