Is it time to change Drs?

This is probably very low… I’d say no more than 20, maybe 30 per day?

Its hard to calculate exactly because I eat a lot of veggies/salads which don’t have exact amounts on labels etc…

Thanks, Paul

Hi, Paul,
Your numbers (and weight loss) sound just like mine. I was diagnosed Type 2 with an A1C of 7.3. After every bite of carbohydrate, my BG would go up to 160-180 with an occasional spike over 200. Within an hour, I’d be back down to 80 or sometimes even lower.My fasting BG is usually about 95. I weighed about 140 lbs, at 5 feet 7 inches, but I had gained 25 pounds over the previous few years, which I had chalked up to middle age. I am now convinced this was from extra insulin release to cope with the slightly elevated BG levels. I did some research online, since I didn’t seem to be a typical Type 2 and had the antibody testing done. I was positive for insulin antibodies and was diagnosed with LADA. The first dietitian I saw recommended 40-50% carbs and I was seeing really high numbers at 45 minutes which everyone told me was absolutely fine. I didn’t want to go above 140 so went much lower carb and lost 25 pounds over a few months. I now weigh 115 pounds which is a bit too thin, but at least I am stable at this weight. I am sure that for me it’s because of eating low carb, though I do eat more fat than I used to and that helps me feel full. At first I was hungry all the time. So this is a long way round of saying you might not be Type 2, and that in my experience, the weight loss was solely from the diet and I feel much better when I keep my BG stable instead of shooting up and down every couple of hours. I think you said in another post that you were having the antibody testing done? That will help you get some answers.

That’s low. Can’t always trust labels anyway. I eat between 30-35 a day.

20 carbs, if it’s more like 20, is way low. Are you hungry? Feel ok regarding energy? I felt much more energetic when I cut the carbs.

It is all fine and dandy to eat veggies and salad, but you need to eat. I mean seriously eat. Don’t listen to any crap that losing weight is going to get rid of diabetes or make you healthier. Look in the mirror and you should know that is not true. You need to make sure you are eating a calorie surplus. Eat lots more eggs. Eat lots more healthy fats. And dig into the meat and seafood. Get yourself some tuna from costco.

When I ran your numbers through the BMR it indicated that you need 1700 calories to just lie on the couch and press the buttons on the remote. If you don’t eat like 2200-2500 you won’t necessarily be able to sustain your weight.

My recommendation, eat plenty of food and by all means enjoy it.

What would be a typical set of meals throughout a day? It seems like anything with carbs spike my numbers to and over the 140 mark… I have had eggs in the morning but I’m concerned about having too much cholesterol?

This is going to be my first question at the center in January… My diet and what exactly I should be eating each day…

I just bought a whey protein mix yesterday so I’m starting to have one of those everyday…

Paul

Without insulin or being insulin resistant, eating anything is going to send you high & you can’t starve yourself.

If eating this low carb (20-30 per day) & exercising is sending you over 140, meds or insulin are probably in order. Do you come back down to normal between meals?

I eat eggs & cheese every day for breakfast & my lipids are fine. You need to get protein & fat when you eat low carb.

You should learn to count carbs & get a scale to know what you’re eating. There are carb counters on-line & Calorie King is great.

When are your C-peptide & GAD antibody tests? Would be very helpful to know if you’re really a Type 2 because it doesn’t seem like you are.

I’ll make you bet right now:) When you go to the center in Jan they will tell you to eat 45-60 carbs per meal & 15 carb snacks. That’s what we’re all told.

I hope this helps : when I was counting calories , I consumed about 2100 calories ( when I was diagnosed at age 43 ) active , weigh in at 139 . , 5 feet .7 inches ( my GP suggested 1400 cal !!! ) …you are taller , male species …I still believe your continuous weight loss should be non-acceptable …and you have expressed here , that you are active DAILY !

Gerri has good advice for you. Don’t worry about the cholesterol, your blood sugar and getting enough nutrition is what matters. Eggs, meat, seafood , cheese and plenty of healthy fats are good for you. The whey protein is a good choice. Here is what I had today:

1st bkfst: whey protein shake with milk
2nd bkft: cheese omellete, sausages and half a cup of oatmeal
lunch: sushi, sashimi (about 1lb fish) and 2c mixed veggies
snack: 1/2 c almonds
dinner: low carb chicken pot pie (2 c chicken) with 2 cups veggies
late snack: a cup of cottage cheese

I generally get 20-30g carbs in a major meal. You cannot expect to cut carbs without major increased in your protein and fat intake. You need to think about accepting that changed diet if you are going to successful dropping the carbs. If you just cut the carbs you will end up with a severely calorie restricted diet and you don’t want or need that.

Here are typical meals for me (30-35 carbs per day). Dr. Bernstein is right, from my experience. I don’t eat any grains, beans, fruit, juice, milk or starchy vegetables. Caffeine sends me high, so I drink decaf.

Breakfast:
eggs w/ cheese, herb tea
pancakes (eggs, almond meal, vanilla extract, salt)
almond meal/flaxseed meal muffins with chopped pecans or walnuts (less than 2 carbs per muffin)
fake granola w/ almond milk–chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts mixed together with golden flaxseeds, unsweetened coconut, vanilla, sweetener cinnamon roasted for 10-15 min on baking sheet at 350. High fiber & filling.

Lunch:
Whey protein isolate shake made with unsweetened almond milk & unsweetened cocoa powder or some flavoring
Salad with cheese or fish or chicken
Avocado with cream cheese, cucumbers & scallions
Creamy vegetable soup with homemade low carb crackers or Wasa high fiber crackers
Whatever was leftover from dinner
Peanut butter on high fiber crackers

Dinner:
Protein & veggies (I make veggie quiche, vegetable curry, grated vegetable pancakes, marinated vegetables)
Protein–grilled, roasted, stews, in soup, enchiladas (w/no tortilla wrapper), etc.

Snacks–nuts or cheese or raw vegetables. I don’t snack much.

Desserts:
Tons of recipes on-line for wonderful low carb desserts. Cheesecakes, cookies (using almond or coconut flour), pies (almond flour or ground nuts for crust) & a lot more. I make a decadent chocolate truffle torte that’s only 6-7 carbs per slice. Amazingly rich. It’s made with unsweetened chocolate, butter, heavy cream, a bit of sweetener, vanilla & almond extract. No one would guess it’s diabetes friendly. A load of calories, but low carb.

Anyone who thinks low carb is boring, is welcome to eat dinner at my house.

If you aren’t getting enough calories your weight will keep dropping. That was happening to me, too. I think it finally stopped this month because I’m trying to eat more. I hope you get a better doctor.

Weight loss is a classic symptom of uncontrolled Type 1 diabetes. I agree with Nel and Libby, you really should be tested to see if in fact you have Type 1. If Type 1, getting on insulin would allow you to gain weight.

A few months ago I would’ve said work with your doc and continue doing what you’re doing. But I’ve learned the hard lesson of being too passive in my own care. You deserve a proper diagnosis based on medical data like a lab test.

According to my lab report, a healthy person’s A1c is in the 4.3-6.1 range. And I’ve read that healthy people rarely go over 7.8 mmols or 140.

It sounds like you are going to have to trust your gut instincts as to whether or not to fire this Dr. I you feel that the Dr is not aggressive enough or knowledgeable enough or personable enough with you, it is definitely time to fire your doctor. I’ve had to do that once. If you feel that there is only a miscommunication problem, then perhaps you should try to get that resolved. If that doesn’t get resolved, again, it is time for you to fire your doctor. Needless to say, you already know how to get good information and not rely entirely on your doctor for information because only with knowledge do you receive the power to make informed decisions.

Sounds like with this weight loss there is something going on for sureI you need to check out further with an endo or someone in tune with disease

I am surprised the Dr did not embrace the dietician. If you find a good one they are a wealth of information. Good luck with the protein shakes. I used to power-lift and did heavy duty weights in my younger days and used protein shakes, some are great and some are really bad tasting. Just a heads up, In the old days some of them spiked the shakes with steroidal type ingredients. Hopefully they are not doing that anymore. Steroids will play havoc with BG numbers.

I think, regardless of the situation, if you are not comfortable with your doctor and you don’t feel she is addressing your concerns, switch docs. I have been in lots of situations through my life where I have not felt like a particular doctor was addressing my needs, and was always happier switching. I hope that your needs get addressed.
Good luck to you!