Is the CGM worth it?

Thanks for helping me understand why the differnce exists between the CGM values and what the fingersticks will tell me…
I’m pretty sure this is the best group of people EVER!

Hear Hear! it is…along with the pod gorup!

I decided to get CGM because of the alarm functionality before I decided to get a pump (Omnipod). I usually am in the 40s or 50s before I feel a low and overnight my CGM wakes me up when I am low. Pre-CGM I was at the mercy of a bathroom call waking me up and then realizing after I had moved around that something didn’t feel quite right.

I haven’t learned how to read the trends from different foods. More learning for me! I switched from Tylenol to Aleve so I wouldn’t get false highs from my Dexcom 7 Plus. It seems to be working well. My CGM also helped me when a pneumonia vacination sent me super hyper (even though my GP insists it didn’t). I was over 400 and the Dexcom CGM flatlined at 400. I couldn’t get my BS down on my own, but the doctor covering for my endo (things always go wrong on the weekend) worked me through it. I was able to monitor the descent on my CGM and it even gave me an alarm when I passed 90.

We recently completed a study at Stanford for our 4 year old son who has Type 1. While a 4 year old is very different than an adult, I will say I found it really disrupting. I think unless you have tons of unexplained lows or highs, it might not be worth the trouble to wear it full time. That said, I think it’s a great tool to see how food affects your BG and also to help figure out if your basal rates are set correctly. I can imagine having it and wearing it a couple weeks at a time, getting good data and using it for pump adjustments. For a 4 year old, I think it’s way too much stuff on your body - there just isn’t that much real estate. I’m happy we did the study (6 months) and that I had lots of guidance on how to use it, etc. but until it gets smaller, it just wasn’t for us. We used the Navigator and it is a good product. What was really hard was having to have Will wear the receiver on a belt around his body. It was really annoying and also pretty heavy. We did use the Dex for a few weeks and really liked the size but the receiver wasn’t that great - you have to always have it on you in order for it to work. I think these products will only get better with time and since I test Will every two hours anyway, I figure it’s not worth it for us at this time.

Susan

With an active lifestyle, I can’t imagine not having my Dex. It give my husband, coworkers and myself great piece of mind that we’ll catch a low before it’s too late. I drive a lot for business (Insurance Sales) and it is a lifesaver by warning me to double check if I am low getting in the car. Sure there are some negatives, but I can’t help but think these devices keep us all healthier. It is worth the trouble.

I think though, this is why my Endo asked how many bad lows I have (just about never).
There’s some discussion of if they even will approve these for people who do not have a record of lows to show on paper or extreme unawareness.
Someone in another forum said they dont care about highs, just lows.

I have Premera Blue Cross and they were the most concerned with the lows. I had to do a 30 day report for them. Dexcom basically told me what needed to be inidicated for Blue Cross to approve. They denied. Then my doctor called and it was approved. I think some insurance companies need to have a discussion with your physician rather than the arbitrary NO. I would push them and I do insurance for a living. Contact your HR dept where you work, find out the broker’s name and have them work with you.

I’m self employed. I fired all the brokers and do all the rates etc myself. No offense, they just were not getting the pump questions answered!
The best plan I could get was with a $500 deductible for me and hubby.
I like that my strips are $10 per month for 300 and my pump supplies are free.
I’m not happy that the DME is fifty percent, but it was either accept that or take a monthly bill of over $1000.
I just now got a rate quote from United Healthcare, about the last choice in our area that I had not looked into. Even that was near $1000 per month.
So, worrying about a CGMS may not even matter if I cant afford my new pump next July!
My hubby wonders why you need a new pump if yours is out of warranty.
I keep reminding him that when I have purchased new pumps it has taken two months or better for the paperwork.
And I dont want to have to go back on shots!!!1

I have been using my Dex for a month now and LOVE IT! I can’t wait to start the OmniPod to help with some of the time trends I have found (yes the first half of work my BG goes way up). I have never had a problem knowing when I had a low coming on, and I have had may lows, so that feature didn’t really play to me. What it has done is help me when I am heading for a high. It used to be I could get into the 300+ range and have no idea. Now I am better able to be proactive about my trends, and although my control still isn’t the best it has gotten much better.

Sounds like you and I have the same priorities! Let us know if you have any questions about the OmniPod! This group is great!

Maia,

I see your point about being overloaded with numbers. However, I think that the best feature of a CGM is that it can warn you about the EXTREME lows while you’re sleeping. You’ll get a lot of piece of mind with it.

Cheers,
Gil

yep… I think it’s the direction I’m leaning towards… I love the idea of being woken up BEFORE I am at 40 or below! thanks for the advice!

I would say YES!!! The CGM has really helped me level out. I can now see in real time how foods affect me. I’m beginning to think that we should be outfitted with one of these babies at diagnosis. My A1cs were okay but my graphs looked like the Rocky Mountains. Knowing which direction things are going in helps you head off the highs and the lows. It’s also great with its alarms. I’ve had the Dexcom wake me twice in a night for a tenacious low. It also helps me to get in a correction bolus whenever I go over 180. It has definitely given me a great deal more peace of mind. I would recommend a CGMS without hesitation.

thanks for the encouragement Pete!

I was told with the Dex Com that its readings fluctuate if you take tylenol or tylenol products. Beware of that!!! They said it is not accurate if you take tylenol or any of the acetaminophine products.