Is there a magic number for insulin dosage intake?

Yes, we’ve actually done this several times over, because I had issue with the original prescribed diet which contained a lot of ingredients that could be contaminated by other known common allergens. Like chicken, that is fed only grain commercially, and xantham gum which is usually growth in corn substrate medium. The prescribed diet also didn’t account for sensitivities to high-histamine foods. So, the second time around round, I switched in our own grass-finished beef instead of all that chicken, gave up the poor baked good substitutes, and gave up all the high-histamine foods that were on there, like spinach.

After nearly four months of boring eating, which was painful for me. I love cooking! We didn’t find any food sensitivities in me beyond my already known minor allergies. Or at the very least, two rounds of elimination dieting didn’t reveal anything of interest.

1 Like

When I was writing my previous comment to you, I was trying to remember another elimination diet that I’ve read about from other members here. I knew it was a three-letter acronym, but I couldn’t recall. It didn’t come up on my google searches either.

So, my reluctant brain finally recalled the name. It’s an AIP elimination diet, where AIP is short for autoimmune protocol. It seems highly aligned with what you’ve already tried so please excuse this reference if it’s not pertinent.

I started on exchanges when I was diagnosed in 2006!

The 50% basal, as best I have been able to figure out, was a rule of thumb for MDI. It was then carried over to insulin pumps. Searching online, I was only able to find two studies on the topic, both inpatient studies. Basal from those was 40% in one; I recall the other as being 30%, but unsure.

I’m down to 20-25 units FIASP per day, primarily due to weight loss. I average about 30% basal. I’ve tested basals from time to time, partly to push back on criticism from endos. It doesn’t seem to be an issue with my current endos and other diabetes care providers.

I was told to shoot for 50/50 when I started on my first pump. It was never mentioned again. I take 30 units per day. I am LADA for 20+ years.