Is this a normal way to get a dexcom?

That does sound a little odd and I don’t blame you for not being sure about that. After my son’s endocrinologist suggested the Dexcom G6 she gave me her contact for the company and they called me back with the prices based on my insurance. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and they do not allow to purchase through the pharmacy benefit but only through durable medical equipment. We were in good shape this year because I had already met my deductible, so we got it at the coinsurance price but in January when my deductible resets I will have to pay the full price until I meet my deductible and then it will get cheaper as the year goes on. Thankfully I have a flexible spending account that I can use that starts over in January. With a flexible spending account I have access to the entire amount starting in January. So it doesn’t really matter that I have to pay more towards the beginning of the year because I will have access to the full amount then anyway. I tried every avenue I knew of to get it through the pharmacy benefit because it would be so much cheaper but for right now that is not am option for me. You will just need to call your insurance company and they can search for the Dexcom and the supplies to see if it is available through the pharmacy benefit or not. Hope you find what you need! And my son loves the g6! Its well worth my money!

2 Likes

After talking to the DME provider US Healthlink, BCBS and my doctor I figured out what happened.

The doctor ordered the Dexcom G6 for me but intended to have it shipped to their office. Then have me come in and explain everything. It was a mistake that the DME provider mailed it direct to me with no explanation.

I also called BCBS and they said it was a mistake that US Healthlink was not displayed as a provider of theirs because they are. They also said the EOB was pending and would show soon.

I’ve been wearing the G6 for about 30 hours and love it so far. It’s been with in 5 points of my blood glucose monitor so far.

Being new to diabetes I very often wonder if I’m feeling off because of sugar or something else. It’s really nice to be able to look at my watch or phone and see my number anytime.

5 Likes

In some cases it is the employer that drives specific details on what is pharmacy vs DME. It could be employer specific rider on the plan, or already included in the plan selected by employer. At one time, my employer had 2 plans. A PPO, which covered as pharmacy, and a CDHP plan as DME. But details were not spelled out in plan description, and I found out after comparing notes with co-worker.