Is Your Diabetes That Bad?

I went to dinner at a friend’s house last night and there was a guest that had knowledge of diabetes (it ran rampant in his family, type 2 i believe though) and he asked me

Is Your Diabetes That Bad?

when he saw my insulin pump. I find it interesting that people will link the insulin pump to a severe case of diabetes…

I’m not on a pump, but I get the comments all the time that my diabetes is “the bad one,” because I’m on insulin. Somebody once told me that I should be glad that I’m not on the drip like it was a life and death sentence. It took me a few seconds to realize that she meant a pump. I tried to explain that insulin in general gives excellent control, and the pump may offer even tighter control, but it was like talking to a wall. In all fairness though if you are not affected by diabetes in one way or another, you probably are not going to be so aware. In other words, you may not give a damn about the facts. Someone once said if you come down with a disease, you then become an expert in that area. It’s essentially true.

I have a friend that is a nurse and she has said the same exact thing to me about my now 10 year old son. “Oh, he is on a pump. Is his diabetes that bad?” UGH!!!

Or, “How’s Westin’s diabetes?” “Fine.” What am I suppose to say? “His diabetes is good. It got straight A’s this semester?” I guess I should say, “His diabetes Sucks, just like everyday!”