Islet Cell Transplant at 3 years

This year was just as eventful as the first two.

I made it to my 2year anniversary of becoming insulin free on Sept. 19th. Shortly after that, it was decided that I was having too many high blood sugars (>180) after meals and that I should begin using some insulin. It was heartbreaking at first. I was so afraid that I would be on a steady increase of insulin until I was right back to where I was pre-transplant.

But that was not the case. I creeped up to about 8 units/day and have stayed there for a long time. And, on the positive side, this time I am able to control my blood sugars with insulin. It actually works out to give myself a unit at meals and have it do the job. That part is very rewarding. It was so distressing to never be able to get it right before.

One big event was the Diabetes Transplant Summit in Washington DC in November. I was asked to speak about my experience with my transplant along with 5 other people who had had the same thing. The whole thing was just great. I got to share my important message within the diabetes community as well as meet some other people who were going through the same amazing experience.

I had a few more colds than I am used to this spring. I was housebreaking a puppy at the time and the weather was cold and wet for a long stretch. I really think that was a part of my problem. I had bronchitis/laryngitis this summer too. Nothing for awhile now however.

My 3 year visit completed my commitment to U. Minnesota. That is actually a sad thing as I truly enjoyed my visits there. They will continue to monitor my immunosuppression, but that is about it. No more scheduled visits.

I continue to be thankful for each and every day of this. I am so extremely lucky to be able to feel as good as I do now. I especially enjoy sharing my antiics with the people who visit the Pancreatic Islet Cell Recipients page on Facebook, as well as keeping up with my blog.

This is a picture from near the U. Minn hospital looking down at the Mississippi River

More than awesome!! I have a few friends who have had pancreas transplants and I enjoy listening to how they view and think about all of it.

I’ve often wondered if I didn’t have t1 diabetes, what would I think about? I don’t dwell on the D, but by the nature of the disease it does occupy a great deal of “think” time. And I often wonder what a person who has a more stable blood sugar feels like. The swings sometimes wear me out, especially if there are several lows in a day.

What are some of the things that surprised you the most?

Thanks so much for blogging about your journey.