Islet transplantation

You’re right.

Would take a concerted campaign for JDRF to contribute funds & there’s always politics involved. One positive is that JDRF funding helps that researcher’s credibility towards more funding from other sources.

I wouldn’t know where to begin to raise significant funds.

Perhaps a start would be contacting Cerco for suggestions in aiding their fund-raising efforts.

Hey Gerri, You are so right.

I have contacted them, I met with them in person, and I have contacted the person that is in charge of fund raising. They can give me a link to include on web posts and in email. Do you think an email chain would work? I can write a cover letter and include the “donate now” button in the email…

Even if we just got a few at first, and then asked people to send it on to their friends, and got a few more - it could turn into a lot after a while.

What do you think?

Great idea & worth a shot (excuse the unintentional pun). Count me in.

Aside from a billionaire benefactor, grassroots efforts are so effective.

Great idea Alan! I’ll contact them and see if I can get it started. Otherwise, I’m crafting an email and putting either a “donate now” button in it or a link to a page where we can donate. It will all go directly to them. Thanks for your support! - Rachel

Anyway we can get a celeb to help, like Bret michaels. That would help alot

Another great idea! I’ve just emailed Manny Hernandez to see if we can start something on the site. I was thinking of Bret Michaels and Crystal Bowersox too. Any others?

I think it’s worth a shot! My 4 yr old daughter was diagnosed in Feb of this year and I just keep hoping for a cure by the time she hits college. Please tell me what I can do to help.

That’s a great idea. my husband works for a reputable company in nyc and I want to see how I can go about asking for donations without “soliciting”. It’s truly not a lot of money, especially when you say if 2500 give $10 each. WOW.

Alan, that’s a great point also… no one wants a cure more than us! I bet if this TuD family of ours pulls together, we can make this happen by our donations alone!

Hi Kelly,

I realized my math was off - it would be 2500 people giving $100, but realistically, ANYTHING helps! It also sends the message to JDRF that we want islet sheets funded. 2500 people giving $10 would be a win.

Talking to your husbands company would be great. I don’t think it’s soliciting if we are not the ones that are taking the donation. It’s going somewhere else and we wouldn’t stand to profit at all - only be cured!

Would be a great kick-off if we could find a company willing to do this as a challenge where they’d match funds.

If anyone works for a large corporation, most have giving programs for donations.

Casual Friday fund-raisers, where employees donate $2 to wear jeans to work (or whatever) can raise cash quickly. Not a huge fund-raiser individually, but painless & effective if a lot of businesses could be recruited given how many members there are here.

Ito helps non profit organizations,http://www.imtiredonline.com/non-profit?___store=ito

Gerri I love this! I work out in field sales, and I know we can’t do jeans days, but my home office people would love the chance!

Glad you like that idea. Some offices do it every Friday (or every other Friday), so it doesn’t take long to raise money if we can get enough involved.

Just thought of another. igive.com. Every on-line purchase made through their site with participating merchants qualifies for a percentage given to the designated charity. People have to join igive, but it’s easy. All the big on-line merchants participate. There’s about 900 merchants.

My coke rewards let’s people use there coke points to help charities and sorts, maybe we could as them?

Vote for Cerco medical to work on islet transplant on facebook through CHASE giving!!! They could get a lot of money, check it out on facebook. I’m the only vote right now :frowning:

You can also vote for Diabetes Hand Foundation :slight_smile:

I could live with just getting new beta cells once a year… that sounds amazing! I’m glad you got to try that! Maybe some day we can just go to the Dr. every few years or so and get an Islet transplant instead of wearing a pump/taking MDI all the time!