Islet transplants

has anyone tried this or do you know of anyone that had the transplant?
I had heard of people that had it, but never had a chance to hear abt the experience first hand.
I am curious abt whether it was helpful, and where one can get it.

I haven’t met anyone who has tried this yet, but they’re out there (and not too hidden). The ClinicalTrails website is probably a good way to find out what’s going on where in terms of studies. Last time, I talked to the program leader at NY Presbyterian Hospital, they may be starting their study this fall. I have passed the initial selection procedure to be one of the eight test subjects. The biggest factor that helped me pass their selection process was that I already use anti-rejection drugs. They were looking for test subjects who already used these “serious” drugs. By the way, I’ve had a cold since the transplant and it wasn’t quite so bad. Like diabetes, having a transplant is just another thing to live with.

ClinicalTrials.gov provides regularly updated information about federally and privately supported clinical research in human volunteers in the United States. ClinicalTrials.gov gives you information about a trial’s purpose, who may participate, locations, and phone numbers for more details. The information provided on ClinicalTrials.gov should be used in conjunction with advice from health care professionals.” I found out about the NY Presbyterian via the ClinicalTrials website.

Bump.

Bumping this to the top because a member of tudiabetes.com has had the transplant. For the life of me, I cannot recall who it is.

Hopefully she will read this and post her experience.

Jack

I’ve listened to people talk that have had it and it sounds amazing, but only a very limited number of people can get it a year (I believe because of the availability of the islet cells and the fact that it doesn’t always work the first time). My understanding was that it is very difficult to get on the list for the transplant and you have to have really severe side effects to get it - to the point where you put yourself or others in danger without being able to control it. (The woman I heard speak had such severe hypoglycemic unawareness that she was in a car accident and after eating a whole tube of glucose tablets tested her blood and it was 20 - meaning that she didn’t feel her lows until they got so low she would pass out). This was a few years ago that I heard her speak so I would be interested to know if it is still as difficult.