It is all about information and doing it youself

I am a do it yourself kind of person. I am probably a doctors worse nightmare. I like to try new things and I want things to be explained to me so that I know how to do it myself if needed. I often believe I know more than my doctors and sometimes I do. Do I really need a doctor to tell me what my pump was doing the last 3 months? Don't I have that software at home? Can't you tell me how to read it and adjust it?

The Internet is an amazing place. How do I determine my basal rate? Ask Google. How do I change my sensitivity settings? Ask Google. Part of this compulsive need to it myself is necessity. A doctor really can't do it for you. He is looking at things from behind. Every 3 months I go to the doctor and we have a conversation, "Why do you think your numbers are so high?" I answer, “Oh because that week I was at camp and we ate camp food all week, and that week I was Aunt Jean’s and she makes Christmas cookies, but now, I am back home and things are good. Oh, But next week I a start training for a marathon." Unless the Doctor wants to see me at the start of every week I don't find them very helpful so I try and be my own best doctor.
I Googled my way to China to work, a got a husband from EHarmony, a masters degree from Phoenix online and teach in an online school. So I figure I should be able handle my diabetes online as well.

One thing that complicates my diabetes is that I am very active. I find the doctor in my very small town does not have the expertise to handle this. He has a lot of non-compliant diabetics. I am non-compliant in a different way. I am currently running 30 miles week training for a half marathon. I go to a Crossfit gym every day. My doctor told me to stop. Running was not good for my feet all that pounding. Crossfit was not good all that lifting. I smiled and went home and asked Google.

I am finding it a little difficult to find good information on how to adjust for exercise. I would really like to find a good source for diabetes and exercise. More than just check before and check after. I am doing that and it is not working as well as I would like. Some times I can run with my pump on and feel good the whole time. The next day I drop low. Next day I suspend my pump. Same route I drop low. Three days three different results.
I am especially confused by these really high blood sugars one hour to 2 hrs after Cossfit. I have read about the liver dumping glucose but is there a way to plan for that?
I love reading these athletes stories and they are very inspiring. But I want to ask but what are your pump settings? What are you eating?
For me living with diabetes is always a game of learning what to do in new situations. My life is not static so my learning and pump can’t be.

have you read Ginger Viera's book, "Your diabetes experiment"? She was a champion weight lifter and has lots of advice to give.

The more activity you do, the better off you are. Your doctor is absolutely wrong....I highly recommend books by Sherri Colberg - The Diabetic Athletes Handbook. She has type one and is an exercise physiologist. I am going to check out Ginger's book too. I have noticed that sometimes - especially shorter races - my blood sugars go up afterwards. I think sometimes stress plays a role it.

One of the reasons I got a Dexcom G4 - is to start documenting what is happening when I am exercising. If you are doing Crossfit every day, then you really need to have a rest day or two because your body might be stressing out a bit. Stress hormones can cause high blood sugars. Everybody needs at least one recovery day. Maybe walk or do something active - but not as strenuous as Cross Fit or running. It is good you are active so kudos on that.

Awesome advice! Thank you, I am going to check both these books out.