It's Quite Embarrassing

Today was my first day of “pre” band camp, and I was shocked at how much just very light marching affected my bs level. I tested before we started and I was at 153, and by the time I got home I was at 86.

That makes it a lot clearer to me how important it is to be testing during all of this activity, especially once we get to the real deal…band camp. At camp we march for up to two hours at a time (with lots of water breaks, of course, and a nurse) twice a day, and it’s much more intense than this pre band camp crap.

Well, that’s all fine and good, right?

Not really.

While we were practicing music indoors today, i spent most of the time dreading having to test my bs in front of people I knew for the first time, and I was fearing having to do it again when we got done the majority of the time we were marching. I’m not even going to get started on how much of a dork I felt like marching around with my little blue backpack full of 'Beetus supplies, either.

I can’t even imagine how I’m going to feel (and I’m sure it will happen) if and when I get a low during marching and have to sit out and test repeatedly instead of marching like I’m supposed to. Will my bandmates think I’m being a lazy wuss? Will they be angry at me and think I’m shirking on my practice? My dad is supposed to call my band director and explain, or go in and talk to him tomorrow, but what if I just can’t keep up? Will it make me look bad?

I really…REALLY don’t want to look like a slacker, especially because in band it’s very important to be a hard worker if you want to keep up your status as a “good” band kid. I guess my health should come first, but it’s really embarrassing to have to explain a stupid back pack to your friends. They were ok about it, though…except AndyPanda kept asking me for my emergency Fruit Gushers :smiley:

HI Brittany -

I know this is difficult. But it will get easier.

I spent part of my summers at a Music and Movement Camp in the years after my diagnosis. I remember being nervous about testing in front of others too. But I knew it was something I HAD to do. I would tell you to be patient - answer people’s questions as best you can - and if you don’t know the answer, say so. I would also tell you to remember that diabetes don’t define your life, but it certainly makes it slightly more complicated. You’ve got to take it for just that. Like a person with asthma and their inhaler - they do what they need to do. That’s what you have to do.

You’ll be OK - if you need any help or just a friendly ear to vent at - I’m around.

• Nicole

I would bet you’re not the only one in the band with diabetes. In any case, band kids are usually pretty nice and stick up for each other. Don’t be worried about telling others.