It's Real Now

For all of those who don’t know me, my name is Jennifer and I am twenty-seven years old. I have been diagnosed with mild type 2 diabetes. I’ve known for a couple of months now, but I am also legally blind so getting transportation to my doctor has not been easy. This past Tuesday I got the official what is glucose talk, got put on Metformin 500mg once a day, and had to buy my first glucose testing monitor.

I have known for so long, and yet everything feels so very real now. I have to test my sugar once a day at least and the Metformin and diet changes are not easy to get used to. So far, my doctor has me managing my diet by going low calorie and low carb. I have done the low carb diets before, and they helped me lose the weight. I am starting to figure out what I like for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Mealtime is especially difficult because I live on a college campus while I finish my degree in Human Development and Family Sciences/Special Education. I can only have a microwave and a fridge without getting in trouble. I can cook chicken in the microwave and some frozen meals. That’s about all I have right now. I’d love to find some recipes that utilize the microwave as the form of cooking.

I have decided to blog about the diabetes here because every time I want to talk about it, I get the whole “It’s manageable, just be glad you don’t have something worse.” I know this, but don’t I have the right to vent and talk out what I’m going through? So, here I am. I hope to make some friends here who understand where I am coming from.

I know I have to be good with diet and testing my sugar. I’m young. I want to finish school. I want to settle down with someone, have kids, and live my life. In order to do that, I have to get this all under control. I also want to talk and get to know people who understand.

I always hate it when people say “be thankful you don’t have something worse”. It never makes me feel better. Of course you can vent here!

I have an excellent microwave cookbook called “Microwave Gourmet” by Barbara Kafka. It’s old, but your library may have it. It is quite comprehensive.

I am glad you came here. I have had people look at me like it is all my fault. There are so many forums you can check out here and and can vent. It is great. You can spend hours at this sight. It can help you feel better about yourself. I like most of my veggies raw which helps. My hubby got me a George Forman grill that has removable plates for easier clean up. It is wonderful for so many foods. God bless you and visit TuD often. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Thanks everyone for your responses! I do really appreciate how nice everyone is here. debb and nancy: I am looking at a smaller foreman grill for my room, but in all actuality the university doesn’t allow it. I am at the point where I want to say – Just let us grill outside, at least! It’s sometimes frustrating to have diabetes on a college campus.

I woke up feeling reassured though, in that testing at bedtime and upon waking up, my sugars were great. I’ve benefited from this group already in finding a great sugar tracking website: sugarstats.com It’'s nice to see the stats grow lower with the graphs and such.