I've Got the Morning Time Blues

Can’t you imagine B.B. King wailing away something like that on Lucile?

Anyway, several weeks ago, I did a basal test to confirm what the sensor was telling me – big time morning effect. Going up 100 points in the morning, without eating. So, I increased my early basal to try to fix that, and it helped. For a while.

A few days ago, I did another moring basal test, and confirmed again that I am still going up in the morning. So, of course, the natural thing to do is increase the basal some more. I’m now on the third day with the higher basal and, if anything, the morning increase is WORSE!!! I mean, I know this disease is often illogical and sometimes counterintuitive, but this is simply ridiculous. I don’t know whether to reduce the morning basal or increase it some more. My morning routine is pretty straightforward – wake at 6, get myself ready for work and either go pick up my daughter from her mother to take her to school or get her ready and take her to school and sit with her for breakfast, then head to work. Between wake-up at 6 and work (8:30), I’m constantly on the rise, and I don’t eat anything until I am at work (and, if I am high, I will wait until lunch). This makes no sense at all.

I suppose stress could be part of it. I recently broke up with my girlfriend. It was my choice. It did not feel right anymore, and I actually felt relieved once it was done. My job is ok. I still have it, but income is down, and the year is off to an encouraging start, but nothing is getting finished, so I am worried about this year, and I need a very good one. My divorce papers are almost finished, and it is a very expensive divorce for me, since my ex hasn’t worked since our daughter was born 10 years ago, so she gets almost everything, except all of our debt and expenses, which I get. For the first time in my life, I really do not feel like everything somehow will be ok. But, if it is stress that is causing my morning problems, why isn’t it the rest of the day? I’m pretty good the rest of the day. I have my food and carb ratios figured out, so my BGs are ok, perhaps even low in the late afternoon.

Hopefully some new ideas to come. I’m changing doctors, again. 18 months ago, I dropped my endo and CDE/nutritionist here in NYC to switch to Joslin in Boston. The idea was to see the doctor, nutritionist and CDE there all on the same day or on consecutive days. But, they would cancel one of the scheduled appointments and then it takes 6 months to get another, so that wasn’t useful. I’ve pretty much been without a CDE or endo since late summer, but now am going to try the Naomi Berrie Clinic here in NYC. I like the idea of a clinic because, ideally, the doctor, CDE and nutritionist should all be connected and have access to all my information together. At least they will all be closer, so I will be able to schedule appointments more easily. Plus, they are all covered on my insurance, which is a good thing. My old NYC endo was not, so I would pay $500 for an office visit and get $36 back from insurance. The CDE also did not take insurance, and she was $120 a visit, twice a month, only getting $14 back from insurance. I am blessed that I have had the ability to afford to pay for all of these costs, but times are tighter now.

Why is this all so hard?

I got those mornin’ basal blues

I go high every a.m. and changing my basals did not work, especially since the weekends I wake up a bit later. What I do is shoot 1 - 1.5 units extra for my morning meal/bolus. If I don’t eat, which is hardly never, I will shoot about 0.5 units upon rising. The basal change did not work for me either.

Fun chatting with you tonight Jonathan, and as a nurse at work said to me about the economy, at least we are all in the same boat, and we are sinking together and we are not alone in our financial problems.