Jamie Oliver's show?

I really should watch this show… He was on Letterman, the other night, and he really does seem sincerely concerned about making great changes…

You’ll like him & his show. Jamie seems to really roll up his sleeves & dives right in.

Darn…why have things changed since the eighties, when I was in Food Service ?? People speak up , please OR do not go there … !!!

I need to add this …hospital food service is NOT like the restaurant we visited in Palm Dessert USA , Feb 2010 …over CAN $ 150,00 for 2 with wine, no dessert :-(hospital food service has difficult times, certainly in Canada …dealing with constraints, staff coverage , Union regulations (for example… I recall in 1985 , staff getting paid more working a Super Stat, than I did as the Manager ) …my best suggestion is to bring in your acceptable food ! …in my day : we had to deal with at least 275 patients …different meal plans ! Something to keep in mind , please .

In my community, I volunteer my time at catering business that was set up specifically for the county jail. I, having been hospitalized in august, had better food when I ate at the jail with my fiance then when I was in the hospital eating “diabetic friendly” food. My meal I (enjoyed, yes that is the correct word) at the jail was grilled tilapia, wild rice and steamed vegetables served with milk or water; the meal I was forced (low bs) to consume at the hospital was microwaved and cold grits, something that resembled bacon and a big 'ole glass of grape juice, oh and there was something yellow and white that I think was trying to be a fried egg!

Bleech! Geesh, how high did they want to get you with a meal like that!

Ever seen food at a nursing home? Equally horrible & loaded with starches.

Palm Desert …only one S??? I guess food was on my mind, when I added the comment ( English second language folks :slight_smile: )

very big eye opener, chicken nuggets is forever ruined for me :(:frowning: Which is good cuz now i don’t crave them, yuck

It is not just the south!!! I have lived in South Louisiana for all but one year of my life. I lived just outside Detroit, MI for all of 2006. Yeah there are more buffets here but also we have better weather for more of the year so we are outside more. In Michigan there are plenty of places to fill your belly with junk. There for the winter lots of people order in and sit on their arses after eating “comfort food”. I guess what I am trying to say is it is not just the south and it depends on your climate as to how you eat. Jamie Olicer is a great cook and has great advice. I have watched him for many years on Food Network. His show is very interesting and very correct. Most parents today don’t take the time to teach their kids about food and nutrition. And obviously the schools aren’t doing it either.

Deserts? Do you have any in Canada??? Hahahaha. =) Plenty of Dessert if you are indulging, I am sure…

Love this show! As a diabetic, and also someone who has a degree in public health, I’m so glad people are starting to sit up and take notice of this issue! I think people are very ignorant of what we feed our kids in school, and a show like this will hopefully get some parents asking questions and making demands. What Jamie says on the show about the necessity of getting parents involved, is so true! If parents start to make a big stink about this issue, you better believe school systems will start to listen! Go Jamie!

I make my kid plant tomatoes and eat at least one bite when they are served at dinner. He still doesn’t like fresh tomatoes, but maybe some day he will. I’m also the annoying mother who serves veggies at sleepovers. Usually the carrot sticks are left on the plate and the pizza is gone. But I try!

Any meal consumed at our house has to contain at least one serving each of foods from three food groups—and one of those has to be fruit or nonstarchy veg. But do we still eat too much processed, high fat, high sodium food? Yes. It’s a never-ending process to balance time, convenience, taste buds, and the rest of life.

danny,
this show took place in huntington, wv. i live about 3 hours from there in a town called elkins. it isn’t much different…
it is shameful to know that our beautiful state…that is KNOWN for it’s outdoor recreation, houses the most obese city in america.
grrrrr.

i have a feeling not much will change. there are so many ‘old school’ and ‘old money’ and ‘stuck in their ways’ type of people in this area. it took years to have the soda machines removed from the grade schools, middle schools and high schools…they were put back into the high schools because parents threw such fits.
it’s disgraceful!!

i praise jamie oliver for what he is trying to do…unfortunatly, i can’t say that for the rest of wv.

I am originally from Baton Rouge!!! Most of my family is still in La.???

This is good news, we had this show in the UK a few years back as Teena said in an earlier post, it was shocking how bad food standards are for children in schools here, I’m glad to see Jamie Olivers been given a chance to recreate the show for the people in the states as it was a real eye opener here.

Sad thing is he was hounded by certain sects of the media when he ran this well… food campaign so to speak, It was very below board stuff like targeting his family that was undoubtedly originating from the people who didn’t want this exposure from the information he was giving about the terrible standards of food available in schools for kids.

I hope he has a successful time with this new show, a genuine good guy.

Again, I am reading a lot of complaining about the food at schools and hospitals, and I agree with you all. I find the same thing at the schools and hospitals and other institutions here. However, I don’t hear any, “I went to my school’s dietician or Food Service Admn and asked about this problem and what our district is doing”? If we are truly concerned, what are we willing to do ourselves to make it better? Jamie Oliver is a name, but we as parents and taxpayers and users of these places, need to step up and demand nicer yet, ask for better food for our children and ourselves. Are you willing to put it on the line or just talk about it?

I’m so sick. I loved the little spice cakes with vanilla frosting that we got in school. I loved it so much in fact, when I married my first husband, I contacted the lunch lady and had her make that cake for my wedding. :slight_smile:

In all honesty- I don’t have children so I don’t have to worry about that just yet, but…
My husband and I are trying very hard to change our eating habits and develop healthy routines so my children will grow up with a healthy lifestyle rather than having to adapt to one.

Amen to this!

our county stopped serving those after 5th grade =( they were deemed too “unhealthy” and yet they still have pizza that is literally dripping with grease