Januvia and LADA/Type 1?

You are LADA which is slow progressing. You could honeymoon for years OR you have probably been honeymooning for a long time before your diagnosis. Your pancreas will randomly make enough insulin to get you by but sometimes it will get “tired” and your BG’s and A1C will rise as a result. This could go on for a long time before your beta cells are pretty much toast.

With an A1C below 6.5 most Dr.s will basically act like there is nothing that needs to be done but you can make your wishes clear and make good arguments as to why you would like to be treated a certain way.

1 Like

Well, Both my Nurse and the doctor agreed that a low dose of basal insulin In the evening will be a good start. So tonight I’m giving myself my very first shot of Insuman. 2 units. I’m nervous, but I feel good about how it all turned out.

My nurse also said that she would keep an eye on my sugars during the following week, and if I dip too low, we will remove the insulin. So I feel safe.

Just nervous that I might have heard her wrong and give me the wrong dose :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

There are 3 types of insuman insulin (which is not used in US). So here is details.

What is Insuman?

Insuman is a range of insulin-containing solutions and suspensions for injection. It is supplied in vials, cartridges, or prefilled disposable pens. The Insuman range is comprised of:

• Insuman Rapid, Insuman Infusat and Insuman Implantable, which are fast-acting insulin solutions containing soluble insulin;
  • Insuman Basal, an intermediate-acting insulin suspension containing isophane insulin;
  • Insuman Comb, which is available in various combinations of fast- and intermediate-acting insulins.

Assume you were given Insuman Basal, and 2 units is a small dose. Sounds like what we call NPH (Novolin N) in US.

How often do you test your BG? What is it typically prior to bed?

What Is Insulin - What You Need to Know.

Yes, it is Insuman Basal!

Typically it’s around 144-162 before bedtime, Then it falls down a bit, and Then it starts to really spike around 3-4 am.