Jargon can undermine our communication

Thank you! I am a retired medical professional and a type 1 diabetic. I remember the first time I joined this group I honestly didn’t know what a lot of you were talking about and felt too uninformed to ask. There is a “ pump language” that I still don’t totally get-not being on a pump. I think when something is an integral part of our daily lives, it’s easy (and natural) for us to assume others know what we are talking about. I look at this as a good opportunity to educate without sounding condescending.

I have learned a lot from this group.

It doesn’t help that Medtronic changed the name of a feature. First it was “audio bolus”. Now it is Easy Bolus. They should have thought a bit more before naming it “audio bolus” I suppose, given that it could be done via vibration. I still refer to it as an audio bolus.

As everyone will hopefully have noticed by now, we’ve pinned a glossary and acronym page to the top of the Forum. Let no one say your admins don’t listen to what’s going on! At least, we try to anyway.

You listened and we are eternally grateful for your dedicated time, efforts, and patience all the admins put into making this an invaluable resource for us. Thank you so much

I am guessing someone hired by a medical device or pharma company was trying to provide tech assistance. Did you research the profile to see if it seemed realistic and genuine? Against guidelines yes but in an honest attempt to help their consumers and of course sell more product.

The fact it went quiet makes me think they have a script and aren’t trained or allowed to go off script for liability reasons.

Otherwise I ageee with you

Regardless of one’s personal opinion, I still think it’s a great idea to provide a list of commonly used acronyms and what they mean. For newbies and not-so-newbies like me.

I don’t really have a problem with people using acronyms online because since it is online, I have the ability to Google any acronym I don’t understand, and get the meaning of it in a very little amount of time. All I do is highlight the acronym, or any word or term, right click on it, select “search Google for (it inserts the highlighted term)”. A new tab opens up with the explanation of the term. I don’t feel people should have to type out all the words that have common acronyms as if someone doesn’t understand it, all they have to do is ask what it means or Google it. I don’t feel it is the obligation of the writer of a post to make sure people from all walks of life, countries and experiences understand what is being written, as there is just no way the writer can accommodate all the possible levels of understanding and experience people have. I feel we should be able to find the answers ourselves, even if that means making it known we don’t understand by asking the writer to explain it or looking it up. Remember when we use to ask our parents what something meant and they said, look it up? Well, we didn’t lose our ability to look things up just because we got older. Some version of dictionaries are everywhere online. I feel expecting/demanding people to spell everything out all the time, just in case someone doesn’t understand it, comes pretty close to being the same thing as being the spelling/grammar/typo police.

You, and others, have made a good point. I do remember the “look it up” retort from my elders when I was younger. That is a good habit and it enhances a person’s resourcefulness.

One current thread mentioned “ASA” but had the word, baby, in front of it. I didn’t know what ASA meant but the “baby” context made me think of baby aspirin. I searched and found that aspirin’s scientific name is acetylsalicylic acid. In this case, I think that typing the word aspirin instead of ASA would make their comment more widely and immediately understandable.

When I think about some of the people who visit this site I realize, especially in the case of the newly diagnosed, that we might be able to soften their experience by at least trying to meet them halfway. I’m not suggesting that any of us take on the role of “spelling/grammar/typo police.” There’s a balance that can be struck and I think that we frequent participants can improve, at least on the margins. I have noticed extra effort being exerted in some recent posts/comments to help make their communication more accessible.

Thank-you for your comment

I also had no idea what was meant by baby ASA but highlighted it, right clicked on Google search and it brought up baby aspirin as the first Google topic and then I answered the post. Look it up really works, most of the time.

I think where the line needs to be drawn is at Acronyms that are specific to diabetics and would not normally come up in Google Search such as WOE for way of eating.

It’s not always so simple. Here’s what I got when I highlighted ASA:

05%20AM

I should have highlighted the two-word term, baby ASA. I agree with your sentiment, however.

But can you see how a newly diagnosed person, inundated with the confusion caused by the diagnosis and brain-fogged by riding the glucose-coaster for much too long, might see what looks like a speed bump to us but they see it as a mountain?