Jessica Lyerly

Hi! My name is Jessica Lyerly and I am from Montgomery, Alabama. I am 23 years old, and I have had diabetes for 14 years now. When I was first diagnosed I had the “why me” attitude, but as weird as this is to say…I would not change having diabetes. Now let me explain!
Having diabetes has allowed me so many positive things in life. Such things as: being able to attend Camp Seale Harris, meeting friends I would have never met if i hadn’t had diabetes, and strength I never knew I had.

At the time I was diagnosed, I was a cheerleader and played softball. I love sports so I was not going to let diabetes get me down. I continued to play and went on to win the highest awards in cheerleading and softball 9 years in a row. Now I love to hike and go camping! Of course I have highs and lows just like every other diabetic, and yes it stinks, but I look at it like this: everyone has something to deal with they wish they didn’t have to, and this disease is that for me, so why not make the best of it and not let it keep me from doing ANYTHING.

In the past 4 years I have attended Huntingdon College and will have completed my degree in Chemistry come May 17th, 2014. My friends and fiancé still call my insulin pump my defibrillator. For some weird reason, I can’t help but laugh every time I hear it either. I will also be married to the love of my life and best friend Ryan Harrison come March 29, 2014. Life is great and diabetes is not a disease I let run my life.

To see more stories and details on how to add your own please visit www.TheFacesofDiabetes.com

This is all excellent! I’m happy to see that you have a good attitude and don’t let diabetes get in your way! Good job!