Job Issues

Can someone provide some additional clarity about the information stated that you might have to report, to an employer, your diabetes in advance of any special accommodation. I have always wondered what the benefit of telling them was. Is that the point of reporting diabetes as a disability on hire? If you don’t do that then you have less protection? How might that be different in a right to work state like ND? This has never been clear to me.

I wouldn’t think there’s a burden of proof on the diabetic to ‘prove’ that they needed to eat. My best friend constantly reminds everyone that, “If you don’t eat, you die,” and he would say that (rather dramatically, at any time that he has the opportunity, not just for diabetics). I guess the “need to eat,” is relative, but is always, more or less, true. I find it hard to argue with the finality of that statement, even when we are late to meet people and he wants to stop for a donut.

And this is what we as Americans must fight for. Those in countries who don’t have this access need to have it as well.

She was very well taken care of. I changed my schedule around often to accommodate her and make sure she was top priority. I don’t think I mentioned this in the original post but my employer actually approve my accommodation then without warning turned around and said that’s why they had to fire me, even though I was dependable for that role and went out of my way to do the job.

I’ve never requested accommodations but if I did, I think I would start with Human Resources, not the supervisor. I just trust HR more than supervisors to understand what my rights are and what laws need to be followed. That way HR can guide the supervisor (if necessary) rather than the supervisor relying on some kind of gut instinct and being wrong.

HR is who I went through all along with the accommodations request. My boss, nor anyone never had an issue with it until they hired someone else at a remote location making my salary plus his. There was more of a need there so one can only assume money was involved here. That’s just an assumption but unfortunately I’ve learned HR is the last department you should trust unless you work for a reputable company, then they are outstanding!

I have had type1 my entire life (3-44) and pesonally I just find things can go your way and sometimes they don’t, just one of lifes ups and downs. I just go with the flow, if i can’t eat at a specified break I find its no biggie. The only thing I have ever insisted on is if I am having a hypo then I will stop what im doing and get sugar etc to fix it. I don’t mean to sound callous it’s just that I dont really expect anyone to make any allowences for me so it’s some days you win some you lose. On the other hand if you are being targeted or mistreated because of your diabetes then that’s a different matter and I would get my back up because that’s bullying.

Those are some highly good points, the some days you win some days you loose ideology is very hard for me to support however because I’m a hardcore perfectionist, especially when it comes to my health and I’ve found what works for me and everyone else around me. Unfortunately there were some discriminatory comments made from my boss, due in part to me rejecting him I suppose. I did however make the right choice and when it comes to my job or health you better believe I’m choosing the latter.

In a corporate environment people will always fight against you if you’re doing well and found what works even if it doesn’t affect them, that’s just part of life. I don’t need to appease them.

I don’t know if anyone else here has experienced this but I feel the need to include it in our discussion. In years past I was slightly insulin resistant and just over the past year I have become extremely insulin sensitive. I can take the smallest amount of insulin for a carb and it immediately hits my system. I don’t consider this a bad thing and I certainly don’t bolus for something I don’t have right in front of me but I can’t help but wonder if that’s why glucose leaves my system so fast. I’ve found that if I adjust the pod settings to take any lower amounts then I run a little high which doesn’t feel good. I don’t think many will relate here as I’ve met no others that are on insulin where it hits their system immediately. The only combat I’ve found to prevent a low is eating protein at my meals and not skipping them.

What kind of corporate environment were you working? This is such a derogatory comment to the corporations that employ so many people, In America and all over the World! Having worked in corporate a time or two, I never had people fight against me when I did well. This is how one moves into bigger, better, higher paying positions! I am glad you left that job, Elyssia.

As for your next post, regarding insulin sensitivity, I want to say that it isn’t a bad thing and I also can’t ever bolus before food is at the ready. I am glad to not wait to eat. And yes, protein is an excellent nutrient for every meals. I make sure to have a bit with every meal, and prefer the ones that also have carbs…like beans for dinner. This keeps lows at bay in sleep.
Do you have lots of lows?

No I don’t but from the tone of my original post it might seem that I do because I didn’t get into the nitty gritty details of everything that happened with that job. Now I will say I have more lows than highs because I have a bit of a “high”phobia but that’s not often. I think pshycologically from having terrible high experiences I probably obsess over my schedule without even taking that into consideration, it’s just lurking in the back of my mind which is why it feels great to have finally come to a good “absorption” place.

Your system is different than mine, but I am more of a “high” phobia person. My Doc and I just reached an understanding that I was going to beat down those highs with a bat and she was in charge of making sure I didn’t go too far because she was a “low” phobia person. In our defense, it is a known side effect of tight control that people tend to run more hypo.

I think, also, that because of my diabetes (and epilepsy), I tend to want to be able to trust the people around me. I like to be surrounded by people who’s judgment I trust. Mainly, if I passed out, and someone accidentally did the wrong thing, that’s OK. I just want to know that they are people with good intentions who would try and help. This must be some kinda an emotional/confidence thing. I think I feel particularly uncomfortable and anxious when I don’t trust the people around me. That includes coworkers.

I have been really lucky with coworkers. I have had really great ones. But, its not just luck. They are selected. Now, since the economy has been crappy over the past ten years, I think that has been particularly difficult because workplace culture has gotten more competitive and crappy, in general. But, now that things are on the up, I feel like I can be more selective about who I work with. Its tough to know in advance how people work as a team and sometimes I quit jobs when I feel like I don’t trust them. Its an issue of physical safety, for me, but also professional safety. I find that bad people are pretty likely to do bad professional things.

I wonder how you have had the guts to accommodate what might be a hostile/absolutist work environment. I don’t think I would be able to deal with that. It would freak me out and I would quit. Don’t you feel scared? Like, someone might exploit your physical ailments for personal gain? That’s so easy to do, and then you might get a false reputation for being unreliable. Makes me nervous just thinking about it.

Interesting that you mention that, one of the HR ladies that worked against me purposefully made sure that my insulin was taken out of it’s cooler so it would go bad on me. Some days I think she literally wanted to kill me because I was a talented employee just as she. I hate that work culture includes this behavior but you are absolutely correct in your positive mindset of the economy picking back up! That’s empowering and encouraging to me as a millennial and a professional.

May I ask why on earth you did not pursue seeking help from the CEO/President/any higher uppities at your corporate offices after having your medication removed from the refrigerator?!? You were let go from this job??? This is walking on the line of criminal, and for sure is cause for you to seek help for Workplace harassment which is unlawful. Please give us the name of this place so we don’t fall victim to an employer who allows their employees to put diabetics health at risk by destroying medications.

One thing that makes me wonder though is…my own insulin is okay out of the fridge. What kind do you use, Elyssia?

Humalog, it’s good at room temp for a month but then you can’t put it back in the fridge once it reaches room temp is what I was told. Not sure how much scientific evidence there is for this. I would absolutely not worry about ever applying to this company as I live in a rural, mountainous area. I doubt anyone in this forum would ever be remotely close to it. She tried to make it look like she had taken care of it by emailing me but it was too late and had reached room temperature by then. I still kept the insulin just in case, what kind do you use?

Well you can take my word that it’s probably okay. I don’t know who told you stuff, but you could read the label on any product you are injecting into your body, that is solid information. My insulin isn’t relative to your issue but I have used it for decades, and it stays in a cupboard…not in the fridge once it is opened for use. The label says it’s good for 28 days and I have found it to last even longer.

I have two thoughts on the “she tried to …” and the first one is that she isn’t really responsible if you left your insulin behind unless your “letting go” didn’t allow you to collect your personal belongings. If this is the case then you have another level of Workplace Harassment to pursue. And the second one is that there is no way in hedoubles I would use insulin that someone I accused tried to kill me handed over to me.

Living in the sticks is not that uncommon, Elyssia. I would love to know who let you go… I am an advocate for diabetes and even other conditions and mean to see that we have the protections we all deserve at work and every dang where! Knowing what corporation not only let go of an employee for needing lunch, and then offered harm in the firing is something I feel we all deserve to know.

I for one won’t do business with them, and think that TuD, DD, JDRF, ADA, Joslin, WHO, NDDK, IPF, and the myriad of diabetes advocates, forums, and support groups would like to make sure not to promote such a place.

Don’t use that insulin. And if this whole fiasco is for real, then please be forthright and share the facts rather than the feels. None of this is OKAY, and there are folks who can help make it right!

I agree on the first part, but the second would be news to me. I was trained on pumping at Joslin Clinic, and was taught to let the vial get to room temp before loading my pump reservoir in order to minimize bubbles. I routinely put it back in the fridge afterward. Been doing this for years with both Humalog and Novolog and it’s never been a problem.

Back on the OT…

As someone diagnosed back in the dark ages, 1983, there was a long (far too long) period for me when I did have to scrupulously avoid scheduling meetings that interfered with my eating exactly on time. Also known as the good old mixed-R/NPH routine. Not only were the peaks relatively unpredictable day to day, but there could be abrupt drops when the effect curves overlapped. For me, this was absolutely a work requirement, because when that mealtime drop kicked in it could get severe in a big hurry and those R/NPH hypos were nastier than any I’ve experienced since. Which was effectively a form of behavioral conditioning I still experience to some extent. I did not screw around with mealtimes on that stuff and I decidedly did regard this as a necessary accommodation in my work environments. Fortunately that was never an issue with my employers, who I kept informed about the issue. And if I went back on R/N (God forbid!), I’d have to make it a condition again.

But that’s part of what makes this whole discussion so strange to me. After 20 years on what I half-jokingly (but only half!) refer to as the Eat Now Or Die regimen, getting moved to basal-bolus MDI was like being let out of prison. And in fact, my strongest memory of that transition, now 16 years ago, is workplace related: it was a specific day, the first week on the new regimen, and I decided just as an experiment, to see what would happen if I didn’t eat right at noon. I was sitting at my desk, watching the clock tick past 12, 12:30, 1pm and beyond, and it felt like those old cartoons where Coyote runs off a cliff but he’s still hanging in the air, spinning his legs, only for me the gravity wasn’t kicking in. The fear of those midday lows was so drilled into me after twenty years that the moment was practically miraculous. I had to close the door to my office because it literally brought me to tears. That was ten years before going on a pump, which I know some people experience as a liberation from MDI, but for me it’s an incremental improvement compared to the feeling of freedom when I finally got off R/N.

I realize this is all just my very subjective take on things, but I guess the point is that it disturbs me that with a pump–let alone MDI–you seem to feel as straightjacketed by your medication as a lot of us did back when. It’s not that it’s a bad idea to be regular–I generally keep to a pretty regular schedule myself, partly because of my old conditioning, but partly just because it keeps things simple, and for a similar mix of reasons I too choose to eat low carb. The less insulin you take, the easier it is to deal with. But it’s a choice for me now. I can’t stress enough that there’s a huge difference between doing it because it’s convenient and being forced into it by absolute necessity. I have to wonder if your endo team are maybe steeped in those older ideas (and that would not be all that unusual) if that’s how they’re conveying it to you. Because it saddens me to think you’re not really getting the benefit of these newer treatments, unnecessarily locking yourself into the straightjacket they were designed to liberate us from.

My endocrinologist is the one who told me to not put it back in the fridge once it gets to room temperature? I’d love to hear if others who use Humalog and just keep it out? If so that’s gray news and I won’t have to rely on a power source to store my insulin. I’ll defiantly bring that up to my endo once more. That news would be life changing to me if so.

I store my Humalog at room temperature because I use the full vial/pen within 28 days. There’s no need for me worry about refrigerating it because it will be empty within that time frame. I use pens now, but I have used a pump in the past. While using a pump, I didn’t refrigerate the opened vial.

The Humalog package insert states:

“Unopened HUMALOG should be stored in a refrigerator (36° to 46°F [2° to 8°C]), but not in the freezer. Do not use HUMALOG if it has been frozen. In-use HUMALOG vials, cartridges, and HUMALOG KwikPen should be stored at room temperature, below 86°F (30°C) and must be used within 28 days or be discarded, even if they still contain HUMALOG.”

Looks like they recommend discarding an opened vial after 28 days even if it’s been refrigerated: