Job offer & employer-funded health insurance

I’m usually one to keep my T1 to myself until absolutely necessary to disclose, but a slightly sticky situation has arisen. I’ve gotten a job offer and if I accept, it will mean a move entirely across the country. Needless to say, it’s a huge decision. Among the factors to consider is the fact that the health insurance plan is self-funded by the employer and administered by UMR. The info given to me at this point does not include anything about DME. I use a pump and CGM and need to figure out if I’ll have any chance at having them covered.

So my question for the forum is whether, when I email my HR contact for more info do I let the cat out of the bag and specifically mention the pump and CGM or do I keep it general in asking about DME? My husband says go all the way, but it makes me nervous. I don’t want them to immediately regret hiring someone who may be seen as too expensive. I’d love insights from the wise TuD members.

UPDATE: I didn’t take the job. It was in Florida and as much as we would really like to make a move there at some point, this hurricane season has caused us great concern.

1 Like

Not sure how wise I am, but I’m generally in favor of disclosure when it comes to such things. Best to get things out of the way early, in my opinion. That way you can hopefully find out if it will be a problem before you accept and move!

1 Like

That’s my husband’s thinking as well. Ultimately, I guess I just hate the fact that my health has to affect my employment choices, but that’s a very sad reality of life in this country.

3 Likes

This is a sad fact but one that must be dealt with, you do have the ADA on your side if they react poorly to your diabetes. If you are worried about them withdrawing a job offer if you disclose your diabetes consider that if they were to discriminate because of your D they would open themselves up to legal and financial woes. There is a benefit to disclosing, if an employer does not know of your D they are not bound by law to provide reasonable accommodations should you need them. The ADA will not totally protect you but it is worth nothing if you do not disclose.

I am on the disclose side, if you take a job without knowing you will have regrets if benefits are less than you wish.

1 Like

Self-funded insurance for larger companies is the norm (in the USA). Over 80% of companies with 500+ employees are self-funded. They would typically contract to an insurance company for the administration of the plan. Small companies are also getting on the self-funded train but at a lower rate.
Almost certainly, HR would not be able to provide information about specifics of the plan but would refer you to the insurance administrator (UMR). Many people are not even aware their company self-funds their insurance plan and are only aware that they have “Blue Shield” or “UHC”. The fact that the company self-funds is a minor detail that generally has no bearing on you.

The benefit of employer provided group health insurance plans is that your health conditions are MUCH MUCH less of an issue as compared to if you were going to try and get an individual policy.

For sure, one question I would absolutely ask HR is what is the date that your insurance coverage starts.

It is not necessary to provide your personal medical information to HR. They really have nothing to do with insurance claims.

I tell them on the upfront. For me, if they do not like me having diabetes, they will not like me. You can ask personnel or the benefits person if you wish to keep it quiet. But in truth it is a big jump across the country, I would disclose and talk to the benefits person.

1 Like

I would call the insurance company and find out what your diabetes benefits are under the plan for this employer. The HR won’t know the details on the insurance benefits. I would not tell my new employer about my diabetes as that is private information. I have been discriminated against for having disabilities. Diabetes is a federally recognized disability. I have found that it is better not to tell the employer personal health information unless necessary. I have had reasonable accommodations for my diabetes and have had retaliation from my employer for asking for accommodations. I hope it works out for you for the best!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for your insights. After much analysis of other factors involved in the potential move, my husband and I decided to stay put for now.

The whole thing has reminded me, however, how quickly I can spiral downward emotionally about my T1. Most of the time I just live my life and deal with it, but then something like this comes up and it makes me so frustrated and sad that taming the T1 beast can be so expensive.

I agree with everyone else; get it out in the open sooner rather than later. If it’s going to present a problem, better to find out ASAP before committing time, effort, and perhaps money to an unfavorable situation. And if it doesn’t, then it’s clear sailing with no nagging worries.

I agree, but it ended up being a moot point. You might have missed my follow up that I decided not to take the job. We decided this year’s hurricane season was a good reason to reconsider relocating to Florida right now!

well if your diabetes treatment isn’t covered, you won’t be able to keep your job anyways. Better to check with the insurers before taking the job.

edit, just saw that you didn’t take the job.

Part of what made the decision very difficult is it was really great pay and I could probably have self-funded my pump and CGM, but I wanted to know what was covered. But yes, it doesn’t matter now.

One little trick to learn what is covered is to go to the health plan website.But choose the option for providers.Most health plan websites don’t tell regular people anything. But the info for the physicians and other HCP’s can help you learn whether or not the health plan is worth it.

I agree. Ask when benefits would start. ( You need to know this for your family’s health care planning (Cobra or something) keep EMLOYER OUT OF UR BUSINESS.
Some are real jerks. Talk to the insurance company and have all of the medical codes if u can for your cgm and pump

yeah! and Covid.

I went through the process a while back with some job offers. Once they get to the point of making an offer and talking salary I think is a good time to ask about benefits. I found it simpler to let the HR person know I have diabetes so they know why I’m asking.

I asked for the insurance company name/plan and if they will share it group number.

I then called the insurance company to ask more detailed questions. In my case I was concerned about Dexcom coverage and what type of insulin were allowed.

I’ve lived in Florida since 1989, if you don’t live on the coast I wouldn’t worry about Hurricanes.

I’ve known many people that moved here and were concerned with Hurricanes. I think when you’ve been through a few of them you see its no big deal (if your not on the coast, or a flood zone).