Judius Maximus the Diabetical Spartan

So. I guess my story kinda starts like a lot of other people’s stories. I am a very happily married mother of two GORGEOUS boys. My husband, Jake, is a firefighter and I am madly in love with him. My oldest son, Reese, is about to celebrate his 10th birthday. My baby, Jude, celebrated his first birthday April 14 of this year. This is where things get “not-so-typical”.
December, 2008.
Jude got a cold. No biggie, right? We took him to his pediatrician, put him on some cough medicine, suctioned his nose, alternated tylenol and motrin for a low temp. All this makes him really sleepy. We truck on through Christmas and the New Year.
January, 2009.
Not much has changed. Jude is still coughing and still has lots of clear sinus drainage. He likes to take long naps in the afternoon with me.
February, 2009
I could hardly get him to stay awake. This cold he has must really be wearing him out. When he’s awake he’s crying. When he’s crying I’m crying. I’m soooo tired. He is waking up every hour or so to have a bottle. After a night or two of this, I get Jake to get up with him. We took him back to his doctor. As soon as the doc sees him, he says we need to take him to the ER immediately. Rather than go to the small hospital near out house, we assumed we should take him to Childrens Hospital in Dallas. We stopped on the way to the hospital at a fire station that a friend of ours works at and had him transport Jude by ambulance. I knew something was really wrong.
Upon arriving at the hospital, Jude was put in the ER’s “asthma” room. He was seen by nurses, techs, PAs, and FINALLY a doctor. A cocky one, I might add. He had the tech suction Jude’s sinuses. Nothing came out. Humph. Wonder what that means? We went back into the ER and the nurses started pushing us to give Jude pedialyte. He sucked down probably 15 ounces, at least. The Doc, and I use this term loosely, tells us Jude has RSV. Humph. Just like every other kid in that ER. Except he doesn’t have a temp. Or congestion in his sinuses. Give him this Amoxil and push that pedialyte. Lots. You don’t want him to get dehydrated he says.
Fast forward 2 days. I have to change Jude’s diaper every hour. He has thrush so bad he can hardly swallow. He will not stop drinking formula. And he cries. And cries. And cries. My husband comes in from work, exhausted, and needs to take a nap. I need to shower. I grab Jude’s little bouncy seat, drag it to the bathroom and prop him up. I no longer step in the shower when Jude vomits. I get out. Get dressed. Wake up my snoring Hubby and tall him something is REALLY wrong. He gets dressed, we pack the bag and head to the hospital. This time, we stay close to home. We drove to Bayolr Hospital in Waxahachie. The nurse takes us straight back. The PA takes a look at sleeping Jude and knows SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG. He starts stammering on to my husband about DKA and A1c and stuff that I had NEVER heard of. He orders a blood glucose check. The meter topped out at 618. I have never in my life felt so sick and not been sick. Jude was poked and jabbed and pricked everywhere.

My baby has WHAT? Diabetes? He’s only nine months old. Nobody in my family has it. Oh. Crap. He won’t be out of the woods until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. No. Not my baby. You’re sending him back to Children’s? Oh no, sir, you’re not. We’re not going through that ER again. You better figure something else out. I know that’s a CHILDREN’S hospital but they misdiagnosed Jude by a long shot. You’re kidding. He doesn’t even have RSV? They never even did an RSV test? Huh. I knew that doctor was a jerk.

Thankfully, Jude was sent straight to the Endocrine floor. Jude was treated with the utmost care. Within 48 hours, he was back to himself.
We have been home a few months now and Jude is feeling so much better. We’re still struggling to get it all straight and it’s been a long road. A scary one. Those lows, man, they terrify me. The highs sometimes don’t even register on the meter. You can’t tell by looking at him that his sugar is high. My baby boy is a trooper, though. He hardly flinches for the finger pricks and only cries because I have to hold him still to give him his injections.

We nicknamed im Judius Maximus the Diabetical Spartan. That’s gotta be one of the coolest tough guy names I have ever heard.

Thanks for sharing your story Katie. It brought tears to my eyes. I can’t imagine all the extra worry that you and your husband were put through because of the misdiagnosis.

Diabetes is never easy, but your family will find "normal’ life with diabetes again.

What insulin did they put Jude on? Do you have an endo working closely to adjust doses? It’s hard for little ones because they need so little insulin that if the dose is a little off, their blood sugar will be too.

Whenever you need a place to vent about diabetes or get ideas, turn to us. We will with it everyday too.

Katie, welcome here. We’re so glad to have you with us. There are many kind and knowledgeable people here. I love the nickname! I want to be a Spartan too.

Welcome. Folks here are a great resource. Your little one is in my prayers, as are you all.
Maria

Poor Jude and poor you but at least he was finally diagnosed and being as he is so young he’ll be less likely to rebel against the diabetic ways as he grows. You are a very special mother to dig right in there as you have and finding our little universe. Anytime you need someone to talk to or ask questions there are hundreds of people on here who I’m sure will step in. Hugs

I’m so sorry to hear about the rough time your little trooper has gone through…little sweetie! Lots of hugs.

Katie – I’m so sorry, I was trying to find either you or Jake (my lovely brother hasn’t returned my calls) and I ran across this story; I remember at Christmas he wasn’t feeling well, but in no way would I have thought of him being diabetic; he is a trooper and you guys are as well. I hope to talk to you soon. Take Care!

I just stumbled across your blog. WOW. Judius Maximus is quite the tough little man!! =)
Reading this brings tears to my eyes and makes me realize a little bit of what my mother must have been going through when I was diagnosed w/ type 1 at the age of 16 and mistakeningly NEVER sent to the hospital, but heavens your son couldn’t even tell you something was wrong! I have an 18 month old and I find myself often worrying about him thinking he will get it one day.
I know things must be tough because he is so young… but on the bright side he will never know what it’s like to not have diabetes and hopefully you will be able to avoid the power struggle that I had w/ diabetes and my Mom as a teenager. Best of luck on your journey!!

Saw your blog post about Jude getting on the pump, and found your original story. All I can say is, Good God. What a horror show! I am so very glad I brought Eric’s diagnosis to my doctor instead of the other way around, because if I’d gone through all that, someone would have lost a few limbs in the process (and it wouldn’t have been me or mine!) It’s a rough ride having such a little one with diabetes, and adding a pump into the mix ain’t the miracle of modern medicine we all want it to be either (Eric’s first week on the pump was highlighted by malfunctioning reservoirs that had ERic’s BG going through the roof because of bubbles in the tubing!) Uh oh that thump from the other room means I’d better go…