July 2013 Chat Census

In July 2013, there were 128 usernames in tudiabetes chat at the same time or right before me (right before meaning I could see their usernames displayed). These usernames represent 127 people, because 1 person used two usernames (both have been suspended). Here is some data. All graphs have uploaded twice, sorry if that's confusing.

Countries that were each represented by one person were South Africa, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Brazil, the Netherlands, the Philippines, Venezuela, Cyprus, and Egypt.

Preview of your graph

I divided the month of July into four time periods (July 1-10, July 11-17, July 18-24, and July 25-31). I encountered 28 users in all four of the time periods (including myself), 11 in three time periods, 17 in two time periods, and 71 users in only one of the time periods. Adjusting the chart above by how many time periods I encountered a user in, the chart changes subtly, like so:

Preview of your graph

The number of men and women in chat was almost equal- 64 men (or boys- some of our chatters were teens) and 63 women (or girls). However, women were less likely to come back to chat again and again.

Preview of your graph

Out of the 127 people in the main chat, 117 indicated that they themselves had been diagnosed with diabetes. Of these, six indicated a close family member had been diagnosed (spouse, child, or parent), two had concerns that they or their child might have diabetes, and two indicated a desire to learn about diabetes in order to serve as a general advocate.

Of the people who indicated that they had diabetes, a large portion indicated uncertainty about when they were diagnosed. This was for two reasons. One was simply that they did not remember when the diagnosis happened. The second reason was that they had been diagnosed multiple times with different forms of dysglycemia, in three ways: gestational diabetes followed by type 2 diabetes, prediabetes followed by type 2 diabetes, and type 2 diabetes followed by type 1 diabetes. A re-diagosis or additional diagnosis was reported by eight individuals, not including those rediagnosed in less than one month’s time.

In describing the time that they were diagnosed, I have chosen to use best guesses and to use the earlier of the two diagnoses when people reported being diagnosed twice (or more than twice). I have omitted the individual with two accounts, because she gave different diagnosis years on the two accounts, with no explanation to reconcile them. That left me with 115 users with diagnosis years. The most newly diagnosed person was diagnosed July 2nd, 2013 (he came into chat on July 7th). The longest diagnosed person was diagnosed in 1936.

Preview of your graph

Most chatters were on insulin. Of the 117 chatters who indicated that they were diabetic, 100 indicated that they use insulin (52 pumper, 47 doing injections, and 1 didn’t say) 14 indicated that they do not use insulin, and 3 didn’t say.

Pumpers were considerably more likely to report their A1cs, however, A1c did not seem to differ much between pumpers and non-pumpers who reported A1cs. In this chart, I have not shown A1cs for people who reported only the A1cs from when they were diagnosed, nor have I included the A1c of the person who just started pumping.

Preview of your graph