June Blog Topic: Get Active!

For many of us summer is just beginning, which means it's time to get active! Head outside, maybe hit the beach, dust off your bike and a good pair of walking shoes!

What is your relationship to physical activity and diabetes management? What have you tried? What works for you and what doesn’t?

Share your thoughts on this topic in the discussion below, or write a blog about it and post the link below!

I only exercise that I've ever enjoyed is swimming but I haven't been swimming since I was diagnosed with type 1 15 months ago. I'm too afraid of having a hypo in the water.

This is very topical. This entry was in the Garvan Institute newsletter this month:

Taking a muscular approach towards diabetes and other diseases

Scientists at Garvan have identified a gene that regulates muscle size, a finding that could help unlock therapies for Type 2 diabetes and diseases such as muscular dystrophy, where muscles are weakened and damaged.

Dr Lowenna Holt (pictured right), A/Prof Greg Cooney and Prof Roger Daly were researching ways to improve the response of muscle to insulin, when they discovered that a particular strain of genetically modified mice - missing the Grb10 protein - had large muscles. This finding led them to further research and they have found that this protein regulates muscle development at the embryonic stage, even before birth.

Apart from its implications in muscle regeneration during healing, the finding is important for diabetes research because muscles are the biggest users of glucose in the body. A drug able to reduce the Grb10 protein from expressing in the body would increase muscle mass, and so increase the capacity to move glucose from the blood stream into cells, a major goal for any diabetes therapy.

I see a HUGE difference in favor of days when my now 9 year old son has a sporting activity. BG's are PERFECT for hours after. I even nailed the post activity night basal with reduced temp basal, YEEEEAH!

I wrote a post on my blog about him taking part in kids TRYathlon last year. Here is the link, hope you enjoy it....

http://raisingtwithd.weebly.com/1/post/2012/04/mr-t-is-getting-ready-for-his-second-tryathlon.html

His next TRYAthlon is coming up on 24th June.

I sign up with Team Diabetes ( Canada ) regularly as a walker/bit of running and see it as a Win Win ...love to fund raise for all people with diabetes and keeps me motivated .Got on my bike yesterday to one of my volunteer jobs ...another win/win : good for the environment /good for me ( temp basal @ 75 percent ) Off to Amsterdam , Oct. 2013

A good pair of walking shoes and a road less traveled is my approach to exercise. I have found that it lowers insulin resistance and the weight loss is a real plus. I religiously walk 2 to 3 miles a day. If I get rained out or for other reasons miss a day I get really bummed out. Now if I can only convince my knees that this is good for me I will have it made.

Gary S

I have found that it has helped my diabetes management to have something non-diabetes to focus on. For many years, it was rock and roll and partying and, well, that's not perhaps a useful long-term investment. Exercise doesn't have to be world-class performance but just moving and pushing yourself off the couch. That's how I started and, while I'm not winning medals, I'm still faster than I was, even though I'm old enough that it will not suprise me if one of these mornings I'm not able to run as fast as I do now and never do again.

ive always been pretty good with exercise as i actually really enjoy its physical and stress relieving benefits. pre diabetes it allowed me to eat whatever i wanted without putting 0n weight. pre diabetes i would never deprive myself 0f any food, just eat it and do more exercise. pre diabetes, what a great time!
six months into this t1 diabetes thing and exercise has become a religion. now there is no day that passes that i dont move in some way. i do zumba and kettle bell workouts, astanga yoga and cycling is my mode 0f transport.
i dont want to credit diabetes in any way because i hate it so much but it has made me a more active person, m0re constant with an exercise schedule. it has made me set fitness goals, which i havent done in years. all 0ut 0f fear, ha ha!!
i started running again, and im doing a 5k in july when im back in new york. i havent run a race in eight years. praying its not horribly nyc humid horrendous that day!

Thanks for this information Pastelpainter.

gaaah!!

I did a "1/2 marathon" yesterday, I put quotes around it as it was a smaller race and there were a couple of spots that the trail wasn't marked out clearly in the woods, or we (all of the runners we talked to after the race...) didn't understand the marking system so people got lost in quite a few spots? And my Garmin fried out!!

I ran for 2:13 w/ much of it around 9:46 (after I found a runner w/ a Garmin and hung w/ her, which is how I know my pace...) which comes out to 13.61 miles but I'm not sure if I might've started out slower or stuff like that. I tried Enduralyte ("salt pills") which did a great job curing and preventing the persistent cramps I've had in many of my longer runs too so I am looking more forward to the rest of the summer.

It was also sort of a hair raising BG day:

When I woke up at 4:45 AM (to eat early, to get the IOB time to clear...), the CGM said 294 so I was like "eeeek" (or maybe %$#&!) and considered correcting but figured I should double check w/ the meter in case it was *really* crazy. Fortunately, it was "only" 198 so I corrected that and did some puttering and ate some eggs and then a small bowl of cereal after it returned to normal. I had cramps when I woke up too, and was concered it'd be a big problem for the race but was very pleased w/ the salt pills, despite the fact that they have similar ingredients to Gatorade, etc.

busy long weekend:
sat: spin class
sun: cycle 70kms, run 2kms off the bike to 'get that feeling'
today: ran 13kms, lifted weights, swum 1km.

starting to back into the swing of things in the offseason an build a bit..

keep on moving guys!

Exercise is the key to control! Check BS before and after to make sure you do not go to low.

I just finished riding in the Tulsa Tour de Cure this weekend and had a blast. Here's a video about the Minnesota Tour de Cure and the Red Riders (individuals living with diabetes who also ride bikes) who are also taking an active approach to controlling this in their own lives! I love seeing people out on bikes being active, especially while managing their diabetes :)

I just did the Tour in Pittsburgh on Sunday, which was pretty cool. Lots of different kinds of bikes at that ride: tandems, unicycles, mountain bikes, etc.

The relationship between activity and my BG management is pretty straight forward: It allows me to have a cheat day and eat more carbs (50 grams per day) than I could if I was not active.

Swimming three days a week (3x300) with trips to the weight room two days a week (kettle bell) is my normal routine. Getting on the bike and riding the Ghost Town Trail when the weather is nice, along with walking 2 miles a day is an added bonus.

Before exercise just make sure you are a little high (eat more), or wait until after you are finished before using insulin (2 hrs). Cutting back on insulin before is also a option. There is a way to do it, you just need to figure it out what will work for you.

As a swimmer and hockey player, I can relate to having fears about going hypo. In fact I almost went into a coma this past year (the reading was "low" on my freestyle lite which means I was under 20) during an episode after playing hockey. I love them both enough to not stop, I just had to find the way since the will was there.

Walking at a local mall or a large store during poor weather is a great work around to still get your walks. Wearing a knee sock or other support device on your knees help reduce swelling after and pain during.