Junior patient diary/new and looking for friends : )

I have been diagnosed for a bit more than a year now, I’m 28, a Children’s book illustrator & architectural conservation research based in Hong Kong.

Thankfully I have a very loving doctor, and I try to look positive whenever possible, but there are very difficult times too. A lot of times I feel lost and unsure what’s the best to do, and sadly everyone around me are just so busy with work, I guess sometimes friends find it so difficult to understand… highs, lows, dietary requirements, and I guess Asians are just not the most… outwardly passionate type of people, I often feel like they just duck from this whole sick-conversation… and are secretly hoping that I will all of a sudden get better/recover… as if I were having a cold.

All in all, I have been a very responsible patient, doing the right exercise, eating carefully, but sometimes it’s just so tiring, and sometimes even if i do everything right, things still go wrong, which makes me feel so confused… : ( : (

Lately, after a whole year and a bit more, i really wish maybe i could meet some other people who understands, I have been trying to look at local support groups, but they are all either for kids, or type 2 elderlies… : ( : ( am i really the only person suffering from this in this city ?! i know i can’t be… but where are the others

I really like how the website says “you’re not alone in this” when you log in : ) thinking positive is essential i guess : )

I have also illustrated my diabetic journey as a picturebook earlier, and you can see it on my blog http://www.maoshanc.com/p/blog-page_23.html I hope you’d like it

and nice to meet you all : )

2 Likes

Welcome to TUD, @Mao! I was about your age when I was admitted to the club no one wants to join–28 years old, about 32 years ago.

Some version of that statement is probably THE single most common comment I’ve seen on this and other sites. It’s really important to understand that there is NO ONE who gets it “right” and never has things go wrong. It’s a bit like trying to drive a car through city streets in reverse gear. You’re always trying to compensate for something that already happened because the wheels steering the car are on the wrong end. We ALL ALL ALL go through this.

Anyway, two things about it:

1. It SUCKS!
  2. It’s manageable!

As to the first, yes it does, and you’re entitled to feel that way. But as to #2, things are SO much better now than they were when I was diagnosed. I’d say the most important thing to keep in mind is that those advances should allow you to tailor your treatment to your life, instead of the other way around. It might help us help you if you could tell us what insulin regimen you’re on (pump? basal/bolus MDI? R/NPH?)

3 Likes

毛绘 你好 ! 我名字叫富乐。 感谢你给我们看你的网页。 在这里人人都有糖尿病。

1 Like

Welcome to TUD, & the club that one want to join,.

1 Like

Dear DrBB thanks so much for taking time to read and reply :slight_smile:

I’m on basal/bolus, and doctor split my basal into two, so I take 5 injections a day, it’s not the injection that’s worse, but when I feel like it doesn’t work feel worse:( even though we have increased the dosage now and I exercise a lot, people say it could be stress etc…

But there are better days and worse days and bad days can be very bad :frowning:

Still it’s good to have found this place, to know that there are other people going through the same out there!

@robert17 thanks :slight_smile: hehe 謝謝

Welcome, Mao!

This is a wonderful group of people who want to share the kind of information and support that it’s hard to find in the places where we live! I have learned so much from the experiences that others here share about their own journeys with diabetes! And people here are very kind and supportive!

Please feel free to share your questions and concerns and frustrations!

Best wishes,

marty1492

1 Like

Welcome to TuD! It’s a great place filled with supportive and knowledgeable people.

1 Like

Dear @rgcainmd Thanks! I can already feel it and I’m glad i found this place

1 Like

@marty1492 thanks nice to meet you all!
indeed i have so many questions i don’t know where to start, but it’s helpful even reading other people’s thread

1 Like