Just some random stories

First, thank you for your nice comments. It means a lot to see everyone caring for others. Thank you!

Okay, I was just thinking of some really funny things about diabetes. For example, for me, diabetes has a smell! Has anyone else noticed this? The handwash in my bathroom is that smell. Everytime I wash my hands, it reminds me of diabetes, because I always use it before I test my glucose levels. Weird, huh? Also, the needles for my pens have a really sterile smell. Strange that I notice it, I know, but…

Anyways, this Sunday I’m going to participating in the JDRF walk near where I live. If any of you would like to donate to JDRF through me, you can go to this website: http://walk.jdrf.org/walker.cfm?id=87113592. Also, check out this website, it’s awesome! It’s about finding a cure for type 1 diabetes. There is a lot of encouraging information in this video: Tracking Developments In Diabetes Research : NPR. Yes, it is worth your time listening to this vid! It brings hope to us!

A few weeks ago, my sister was at Marshall’s, and the lady at the cashier asked if she would like to donate to find a cure for Juvenile Diabetes. My sister said yes, and donated money. Later, the cashier said that she thought it was sad that kids are letting themselves go. When my sister asked what she meant, she expressed that she thought that the reason people got type 1 was because of being fat and not living a healthy lifestyle! When I heard this, I was upset. This is partially why I don’t tell people I’m diabetic: because I don’t want them to assume it’s because I let myself go! Truly, of all years for me to get diabetes, this one doesn’t make sense, because this has been the healthiest year in a long time. But yeah, I don’t want people to assume I could have prevented it.

Okay, the doctor told me that they don’t know why people get type 1 diabetes. Basically, that it’s random. However, they also stated that some research has led them to believe that T1 can be triggered by a virus. When I was told this, I rembered that I had had pneumonia and bronchitus earlier that year. It’s so sad to think that as I was getting over pneumonia, i may have been setting myself up for a disease.

Anyways, I could probably go on and on! But I won’t, for your sakes.

Interesting stories Emily. Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis…welcome to the lifer club.

-My diabetes smells like money because thats what I feed it every day.

-The lady at Marshall’s represents most of the people alive today unfortunately. They have no idea but they talk like they’re Dr. Diabetes. If the cashiers at Marshall’s are gonna ask customers to donate to a certain cause, maybe Marshall’s should give them a brief education course on what the frick it is in the first place.

“Look lady just ring up the belt and let me sign the colorful paper shoe and save the health education course for someone else.”

-Oh and you might get a kick out of this topic I posted about the cause of T1 diabetes.

Emily

There are many of us rooting for Dr. Faustman. DiabetesDaily has a great interview with Dr. Faustman that’s worth watching.

People don’t really understand diabetes and that there are different types. There’s also a perception that type 2 is due to what people do (or don’t do). Like many things that’s not always the case.

Have fun at the walk, those are always great events. If you’re trying to learn more about diabetes, do try my diabetes web search. I send the advertising money from that to Dr. Faustman, so that’s another reason to use it.

Diabetes smells like alcohol swabs to me

to me diabetes smells like alcohol and hospital. i have gotten used to the hospital smell, and that is a little scary for me. i just don’t want to get used to that.