Just tested at a 38

Mine are around 1:8 but my Lantus dose would be more like 20 units. 1:13 sounds much more reasonable than your fixed dose units that you were taking. Test, test, test with your 1:13 and cut back or add as needed.

Dear Kansan,
Ask your CDE how to test your basal dose - or search through here for a protocol. I know it was on here. There are regular protocols for testing this. It requires the elimination of one meal at a time over 3 days, getting your test result when you’re not eating and when you haven’t given yourself Humalog. Get the Walsh book on Using Insulin.
You want your basal insulin to keep you within 30 mgdl all day and all night. If it stays stable and doesn’t drop you, fine. Otherwise it needs changing. When you are new on insulin, after a week or two, the body gets used to having insulin working again, and it does not need so much as was needed when your setting was higher. Sometimes the basal needs dividing in two doses to eliminate peaking, too.
When you have a stable basal dose, you can then figure out your insulin to carb gram ratio. Did the dietitian give you 45 grams carb every meal? Look at what she assigned in the diet. If it’s 45g for breakfast, the I:C ratio is 1:4.5. For lunch it’s 1:5. For dinner it’s 1:6.
You need to feel free to test it out. Test yourself. Give yourself a breakfast of 4-5 grams only. Give one unit of insulin. Test at one hour and at 2 hours. Did it keep you below 140 at one hour and back to the 100-110 range at 2 hours? Fine. Tweak it until it does this. Your I:C ratio can then be said to be 1:4 or 1:5 for breakfast. Other meals will be different. The key to testing out these things is using small numbers and then as time goes on learning about the effects of higher protein and fat and their slower effect on blood glucose.
I run 1:3 at breakfast and 1:5 at noon & supper. My basal dose dropped with the change of season a couple weeks ago from 7u in the morning and 2u at bedtime to 6u in the morning and 1.5u at bedtime. There will also be hormonal-related changes that will occur. Be fluid, keep testing, and it’ll get clear to you what you need. You want to be able to change that diet and give insulin according to the I:C that fits YOU, no one else.
Endos figure initial doses based on weight. Yours was conservative in what he prescribed, but it won’t work for long, and YOU have to be the one to tweak. Tweak with small numbers. Add protein to keep you from being hungry.