Just wondering

Hi everyone.
My name is madison.
And I have wanted to be in the military since I was smaller.
I was diagnosed with type one diabetes in november of 2008
Im currently a sophmore in highschool and in the NJROTC program.
Im cadet senior chief petty officer of my unit and a squad leader
I know there is a very very slim chance of joining any branch of the military.
but i was wondering.
Is there any chance i would be able to work on the base or even join.
I thank everyone who answers this deeply.
Because im very curious :DD

I’m a type 1 for 42 years, and I had a career in computers working for the Dept of Defense. I worked for the Navy and the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon.

so i would still be able to work on base?? :smiley:

Yes. I suppose i could. I have recruiters come to my school a lot. I just havn’t gotten to talk to them quite yet.

yes, you’d be a civilian working with a government job. oh, I also worked at Henderson Hall, the HQ for the Marines. I was working for companies that got contracts with the government, and we worked side-by-side with uniformed service people and government employees. I worked on some pretty interesting systems, like one for the Trident nuclear submarines.

Hi Maddy

I bet that if you argued enough, they would let you in. There are a lot of out-dated information out there for type 1s. We used to be so restricted on everything. But, now that we have better medications and pumps and CGMs, many places that used to say “no” are now saying “well, if you do this and this and this, then okay.”

Scuba diving, for example used to be HELL NO, but now if we monitor closely, we are allowed to go.
Same for flying airplanes.

Try and see what happens.
I know only five years ago it was still NO for the Army branch. It was too much of a risk the recruiter told me, being insulin dependent- With the possibilities of extreme heat; What if the vial broke? What if I went into shock while on the infantry line? What if I ran out of syringes? What if I got shot- infections are slow to heal?

But, it wont hurt to ask. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your interest in serving our country, no matter what the outcome, Maddy.

Yeah Maddy - I second what Marps has said here. Never EVER let having diabetes stop you from following your dreams. If you don’t ask you’ll never know :slight_smile:
BTW, just came up with this link - lots to read (and some interesting things) - but this might help you before you give the recruiting office a call - http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_DQ_medical,00.html

So did you try and join a branch too?? I have marine recruiters come to my school alot also air force andnavy. In fact I have a really close friend inthe marines. He was a senior my freshman year and we got pretty close as friends. He came back totheschool and said he would talk to bs recruiter and have him do whatever he could to have me join. So hopefully all works out. What’s the worst that can happen?? They say no and I end up working on base lol that’s not that bad. Also I decided I want to marry into themilitary…(not any time soonthough lol)

Thanks very much!!! Wow. Some of that is kinda shocking!!

This reply was for marps lol sorry

My fiance was in the Army. His father was in the Marines and the Navy. My brother was in the National Guard and my grandparents were all in wars within the Service. I have always loved this country and strongly respect those who fight for what we have. No matter the branch and no matter the way that they serve. Since I was told no on numerous occasions (this was a few years ago, tho) I had decided to serve my country through other means, like through my creativity in my band or through my writing- trying to spread happy feelings to complete strangers- through kindness.

may sound lame, but it’s the best that I can figure to do right now.
I would be no good to the service in my current condition anyway- A1c I just barely in the 8s. MDI.

But, honestly, it’s is really really hard to be a military wife. The shows make it all glamorous and stuff, but when they are gone and all you’ve got is one measely letter every few days (that they probably had to sneak just to write to you) and then when they get home and you have to get re-acquainted again because you’ve figured out how to survive without them around for so long… it’s really hard. A lot of tears.

But, other than that, military men do tend to be more respectful and very strong men. I have such high respect for them. Truly. I just want to hug every single one that passes me on the street. The sacrifices that they give…

[stepping down from soap box]

A current diagnosis or verified past medical history of diabetes is among the medical conditions listed as disqualifying for military service. An applicant for military service can request a medical waiver, but I do not know the likely success of such a request. There are even certain restrictions and procedures for processing service members who are diagnosed with diabetes while already on active duty (depends on the branch of service). Civilian employment for the various military agencies or the DoD in general has no such restrictions. I served on active duty in the military prior to my diagnosis and am now a civilian employee–both a rewarding. Good luck.

Read the following for more info: http://www.diabetes.org/assets/pdfs/know-your-rights/for-lawyers/employment/atty-diabetes-and-the-dod.pdf

I am a type 1 diabetic and I served in the Navy. I had a requirement to keep my A1C below 6.

Wow. thank you.

Question: Were you diagnosed before or after being enlisted?

Also, isn’t one of the major factors of the “danger” of being type 1 and in the service is the fear of the insulin shock? Below 6 is a hefty goal. Congratulations on keeping it that low! :slight_smile:

I was diagnosed as a child. And I’ve never had an A1C after my diagnosis above 6. I have tight control, and wear a CGMS as well as an insulin pump.

So as long as you kept your a1c below 6 they let you stay in??

I had to meet other requirements as well. “No porkchop club”, able to meet / exceed PT standards… and so on.

No porkchop club?
whats that??
and as for the PT standards…like i said im in a navy JROTC and im one of the top cadets…
senior chief (which im a sophmore, and the same rank as a fourth year cadet)
so i exceed the expectations in PT.
i know that probably doesnt mean anything to the recruiters or anyone. but im just sayin

yeah… i know how hard it is … my uncle is in the military and my best friends dad (whom is like my dad also) is in the navy… but i feel like if i can’t join the least i can do is support my husband. you know what i mean? (not that im saying im going to get married anytime soon because im SO not.)
and if you don’t mind me asking… you said your fiance was in the army? is he not anymore?..
and i feel stupid for asking this but what did you mean by stepping down from the soap box?

as far as i know you can’t join the military, but since you show prior experience maybe you can convince them better then others. I know i can’t join the military because of my diabetes because boot camp would probably kill me, i don’t think i could handle the stress,constant highs and lows, and it would be kind of hard to stop your di from yelling at you so you can check your sugar. I’m a airforce brat and i almost joined before i was diagnosed, but i didn’t know i was sick then, i couldn’t join because i was overweight. I wish i could join now, i love the military life, moving around all the time, living on or near base, so i married a marine. It’s definitely hard to be a military wife, especially when you can’t get that constant reassurance from your honey. It’s enough to make you go crazy, but i’m crazy in love with him so i guess it goes hand in hand.