Knocked Up Confucian Style

Did the title catch your attention? You can read the original post here. :)

I just finished another healthy and delicious dinner of fresh steamed broccoli and zucchini, yellow peppers and chicken, and the best part? I didn't have to cook it myself! I love that! It pays to have good friends! Given my sad little culinary skills, I am happy to report I figured out how to make a mean poached egg in the microwave. I'm not above nuking, I admit it. I have no shame. The easier, the better. So, what did I do with all the time I saved on cooking? Well, I spent the morning at home watching my new favorite movie, "Knocked Up." I highly recommend it. It's hilarious and rather true to life. I enjoyed it immensely. Now if I could only find a way to watch the season premiere of "The Office" tomorrow I'd be in sheer comedic bliss!

After my relaxing morning I spent the afternoon in my little cubicle doing some lesson planning and curriculum design. I was easily distracted, but I experienced those pleasant stirrings of excitement that come at the beginning of the semester when everything is new--new students, new classes, new classrooms, new school supplies--a new beginning. That's one of the things I like about teaching--it constantly challenges me , pushes me and doesn't allow me to rest on my laurels. I'm always learning, revising and starting over again. I like that notion, and now that the shock of summer vacation being over has waned, I've started feeling excited to start teaching this semester, especially now that I cleared my schedule a bit more. I'm glad to have some time to myself to focus on what I need to do to stay healthy, wealthy and wise! To quote Confucius, "The superior man makes demands on himself. The inferior man makes demands on others." Why quote Confucius? Because tomorrow marks Confucius' Birthday and National Teacher's Day in Taiwan, and I'll be spending the afternoon in Taipei's Confucius Temple with the new semester's batch of CIEE study abroad students watching the birthday rituals. As a teacher myself, I'm sure to enjoy the day as it's not only an homage to Confucius, but to all teachers. I do appreciate the reverence most Taiwanese have for teachers. Though it's not a high paying job, it comes with a lot of respect, and that means more to me than loads of money (not that I'd object to that, either, though). I'm sure I'll have at least one student do something to honor me on Friday. I am humbled on a daily basis. For now I say thank you to all of you in the OC for being my teachers. I learn a lot from you and have enjoyed reading your blogs and comments immensely; I'm truly grateful for the gentle reminders and timely lessons I continue to learn through each and every one of you.