L.A. City Council voted unanimously to ban the opening of new fast food restaurants

Just read this:

"The Los Angeles City Council has voted unanimously to ban the opening of new
fast food restaurants in South Los Angeles (aka “South Central”) and nearby
neighborhoods.

The one-year moratorium covers a 32-square-mile area with roughly 500,000
residents—about one-eighth of all Angelenos."

Read the rest of the article here:
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/07/31/5848.html

Do you think this is a good idea that should be reapplied elsewhere?

This is wonderful.We have been campainging in my country( saudi Arabia) to ban fast food chains to open within reach of schools.Children stop by on their way home and buy thier lunch.MacDonald is open for 24 hour in big cities.The soft drinks were banned from schools years back.
We will keep trying!!

I think this is a good idea! I don’t think it will help, I think nutrition and eating healthy starts at home. If parents would stop allowing their kids to gorge on junk food and then go play a video game for 5 hours Diabetes and other Chronic illness will continue to plague the next generation. What happened to the good old days when parents made their kids go outside and run around the yard?We need those days back…

Let me start out by saying;I do not use fast food places nor does my family.In saying this … I’m opposed to the ban.It is not an issue of fast food or not.It is far more greater of an issue than fast food. It is as basic as the Magna Carta ,the Constitution ,and the declaration of independace. Summed up in one word FREEDOM.The same cry of William Wallace and is still true today! It is a mockery of all who fought for freedom.This is not Orwell’s 1983. We do not need Big Brother to watch over the daily affairs of the people. Further more , it is my duty to speak out against tyranny. You may think that seems harsh but our forefather wouldn’t. …"He who allows the government to choose his food and medicine will serve a tyrant.’’ “Thomas Jefferson.” It is my job to feed ,protect and to take care of my child ;not the government!

Since the product that is being sold is legal and there others that are allowed to sell them ;this ban unfairly targets certain groups.Regaurdless if a restaurant, beit sit down or fast food , they all are using Trans Fats to fry with… and the soft drink have HFCS in them. This is the real danger not the type of food place.

HECK NO!! ALL TYPES OF PEOPLE ENJOY FAST FOOD AND IT’S NOT THE RESTAURANTS OWNERS FAULT IF PEOPLE OVER EAT, AND GET FAT. PEOPLE MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICES AND TO BAN A PERSON FROM MAKING A LIVING IS SIMPLY UNAMERICAN!! PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW WHEN TO STEP AWAY FROM THE COUNTER. A BURGER WITH FRIES AND A SODA IS ENOUGH!! AND AS LONG AS THERE ARE CARS, TAXI’S ,BUSSES & TRAINS PEOPLE IN L.A. WILL GET THE FAST FOOD, SO THERE’S AN INCONVIENIENCE INVOLVED BUT U CAN’T MAKE PEOPLE NOT EAT FAST FOOD

I think it’s a great idea. It sends the message out that fast food is dangerous, and by making it a little bit harder to get will encourage people eat less of it.

Amen, Joe!

Besides, if the residents can’t get affordable food, quickly enough to eat, at the Mickey-D’s, they may be stuck eating chips and Slim Jims from the convenience store…

A better deal would be to help local restauranteurs provide local clientele with healthy food, quickly and inexpensively.

In any case, it is not the purpose of the government to get involved in this.

I would agree with you but for one thing: most people aren’t aware of what’s in the food. The kind of crap that’s being sold in even so-called healthy choices in the fast food places is unbelievable. I took the time once to review the teeny-tiny nutrition info for the burgers in BK and was horrified to find out that they use a lot of soy fillers—I am hypothyroid and soy in quantity is a pretty bad idea because it interferes with thyroid hormone so it’s a problem if your levels are low to begin with. Add to that the fact that a lot of the food sources have all kinds of problematic chemicals (pesticides, hormones, antibiotics) and you’re getting something that doesn’t so much feed you as poison you, and I say this as a person who is not a nut N crunchy vegan — I like a good pizza just like anyone else! And most people just have NO IDEA how bad soda is for you—never mind the sugar, it’s the phosphoric acid that literally eats away at your bones and intestinal tract. So it really has nothing whatsoever to do with overeating and getting fat, it’s more a problem that the food itself not only isn’t nutritious, it’s downright toxic in some cases. It would be fine if people really knew what they were getting (I think most people would choose not to eat there and that would be the end of demand) but the fact is they don’t. And the corporate marketing of these chains ensures that most people don’t find out—the movie “Supersize Me” was a big eye-opener to a lot of people, but even that didn’t begin to get at the full extent to which the offerings in fast food joints are affecting not only personal health, but national health. When you calculate the cost of all the health problems related to fast food in our overloaded healthcare system, the cost of that burger, fries, and soda gets magnified a hundred times, and the extra costs are coming out of ALL our pockets. My tax dollars are paying for other people’s bad choices–where’s the fairness in that? So yeah, I’d say fast food is one of those things that ought to be restricted–just like cigarettes and alcohol, because it’s a public health nuisance, particularly with respect to kids. (And in that regard, sure, I can teach my kids to eat healthy sit-down meals at home, but they’re more influenced by their peers than anyone wants to admit, and if 90% of their peers are doing burger-and-fries daily, guess whose teachings are going to win? Not mine!)

I totally agree, Joe. I don’t eat at fast food, but it is my CHOICE not to.

People should be careful with what they sanction, because the mainstream media has them believing it is OUR fault we have diabetes.

Vitamins are good. I take them. But I don’t want the government telling me I have to. People would say, “Oh, but you take them anyway, and a law like that is doing good.”

They miss the point. It is the government meddling in your personal affairs.

While I agree with you on some of this, the other side is…Do you want the government making decisions for you?
Because a lot of people do not choose to know what they put in their mouths, anymore than the car they drive, doesn’t mean we want the government stepping in and making the decision for them. It is treating adults like children.

Should we outlaw skiing or surfing, because of the accidents?

When you give up control to the government, you lose your freedom, because it isn’t about what the issues are, it is handing over the control.

Oh my gosh, a big no! I do not need government telling me what I can an can not eat. I have enough food police with family and friends. There are good and bad choices at all resturants not just fast food. If people make bad choices it is their choice. Parents need to educate their children, but again if not it is their choice! Why are so many people willing to give up their freedom of choice? Just imagine what it would be like if the government could regulate what diabetics could eat. It is bad enough that private insurance companies regulate what diabetic supplies they will approve. When I was diagnosed with Type 1- 23 years ago insurance would pay for insulin, but not for my syringes… Any way, just my opinion no offense intended to anyone.

I think it is unconstitutional. It’s not the Governement’s job to say what we can eat. If I wanna take a big old bite of a dog turd and it makes me happy… well…

I do not think that South Central L.A.'s problem is caused by fast food restaurants… it is poverty. Even without the availability of a MickyD’s, they still eat CHEAP food! Period… it has nothing to do with fast food. It’s the lack of good paying jobs for the individuals who live there. And we can thank NAFTA and WTO for that and US corporations that have moved manufacturing facilities off shore.

(My apologies to our Californian members… but… ) California does a lot of this kind of stuff and then their residents move elsewhere to get away from the controls and then try to Cali-fornicate the state they adopt… Frankly if they stop messing up their own states laws they might want to stay home and leave other states alone!

Frankly, anytime the government starts to tell people what to do I worry. I don’t want any branch or level of the government telling me what or where I am ALLOWED to eat. Next thing you know it will be a twinkie tax, then you will only be allowed so many calories a day, to avoid the state paying for your increased health care costs of having a BMI that is larger than THEY think is acceptable.

This level of control of population is Orwellian and exceeds even the most fascistic dreams of Mussolini and Hitler.

If people dont want to eat at another MacDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, K of C or Wendys then they don’t have too. But if the area will support the restaurant, provide jobs to the area, and increase the tax base, why would they want to prevent it, except for the desire to “tell those fat slobs what to do. After all everyone knows that the only reason that people are fat is because they are too stupid or undisciplined to just eat as they are suppossed to. And if they can’t control themselves, we will have to do it for them. For their own good, and for the children.”

I object to that kind of characterization. I strongly object to government interferance in my freedom to choose.