La Manifique A1c

My endo picks up the phone, presses a button, and talks to the lab.

“I’d like Heidi X’s a1c, please.”

Puts it down.

“It’s gone up.”

Delightful, what’s the damage?

Ugh.Double Ugh. Triple Ugh. This is highly mortifying, it hasn’t been this high in 7 years. Of course I know why,a mixture of illness, stress,lassitude,life, and lousy carb counting.

What I don’t know is how to fix it-how to be all that I should be for 3 straight months. I would like nothing better then to come off with an a1c under 7. I know you’re not supposed to do it to appease the endo but I feel like a hopeless case.(though she doesn’t say it,maybe she feels the same way) I need motivation. Unfortunately, its hard to stay motivated when you’re dealing with other crud + along comes depression + you’re in so deep the motivation is completely gone. Doctors do not ask if you’ve been depressed, and they should. Or maybe its really obvious, and they just don’t feel like addressing it.

So what I’ve decided is- I’m going to get a home a1c kit, mail it off about two weeks prior to the next endo appt. and see where it is. If it isn’t down, I’ll reschedule the appt. I can do this. I will do this. Caring for the diabetes makes the rest of your life easier, you owe it to yourself.

I got an appt with a nephrologist for tomorrow, hopefully things will start to look up. I called every place on the Eastern Shore + they have cancellations, etc…its gradually gone from an estimate of Sep.23, to Sep.12, to tomorrow. Maybe they will give me a prescription for IV mag. so the ER visits will stop.