Lantus ?!

thanks lotss xx :slight_smile:

It is really important that some people react very differently to Lantus than expected. I have heard from people going low after injecting the Lantus into a blood vessel. So I guess that Lantus is deposited into the skin and from there it is slowly released into the blood stream. People with a high blood exchange in their upper skin regions might then have problems with Lantus because the release rate is higher than needed.

Levemir will bind to the haemoglobin in the blood which makes the blood the deposit for this long acting insulin. So it will not make any difference if you hit a blood vessel or not. This binding degrades slowly and the Levemir will be released at a constant rate.

I think most users are on Lantus because it is good for many and convenient. To compete against this convenience the manufacturer of Levemir even claims that Levemir lasts for 24 hours. I think this is wrong and Levemir should always be applied in a 12 hour regime. There are people with one Levemir shot and good control. But the likelyhood is not very high. It is like having good control for 24 hours with one shot of Lantus. These people exist but most will only get 23 hours and cover the rest with their carb ratio - wondering about sudden highs at a specific time of the day.

The reason you cannot mix lantus (and levemir) is that these basal insulins are specially treated to bind the insulin in a way that will slow the release over an extended time. Should you mix these basals with a rapid, the binding will affect the rapid as well and you wonā€™t get a combined profile like you do with an off the shelf 70/30 mix. You would instead mess up the rapid, slowing down itā€™s response and getting some sort of different response, potentially unknown and unpredictable. And donā€™t even think of mixing them in a vial. The Lantus is acidic, that is why it burns. Your feelings are real. I think it burns more for some.

I"m actually on 24 hours with Levemir. I was on 24 hours with Lantus too.
I do have issues with my carb ratio, as it keeps increasing as Iā€™m getting older. Iā€™m at 1:5 right now, which makes for some pretty high dosages of Humalog. However, when Iā€™m NOT eating, Iā€™ve tested my BG when Iā€™m fasting for 24 hours, and my BG stayed constant on the Levemir alone.

I have not, however, had any issues with injecting Levemir at 11:00pm one night and at 10:00pm the next night.
Iā€™m considering breaking up the dosage into two injections, but am leery of forgetting my mid day injection. And my food schedule is all over the place, so Iā€™m afraid I wonā€™t be able to pinpoint TWO specific times per day that I would inject.

But, something to think about.
Thanks!

Some people have experienced a dramatic drop when they somehow injected directly into a blood vessel. Iā€™ve never personally had that experience.

For me when I exercise at night, I tend to dropā€¦but itā€™s more over several hoursā€¦so those nights I cut back on the dosage. If your lantus was exposed to extreme temperatures it would be more likely that it would become less effective.

I usually leave my lantus out on my counter at room (~68-70 Farenheight) but it doesnā€™t seem to impact itā€™s effect for me.

One other thing is that according to the insert or maybe their websiteā€¦but for some people Lantus can work up to 26 hoursā€¦ so you might get some overlap there where for a short period your basal rate is roughly doubleā€¦

Your best bet is to do basal rate testing to see how lantus effects you at different times of the day and try to find out how long it actually lasts for you.

Interesting that you get 24 hours from Levemir. It will be a nice experiment to see if two injections will influence your carb ratios. It has the potential because in my understanding the Levemir will cover 24 hours but it will degrade much more than Lantus. So after the 12 hour mark the amount of active insulin is lower than being on Lantus. But this may be very individual - your 24 hour fasting proofes that.

I inject at 08:00 and 21:30 which works best for my habits. If you can manage something like 07:00 and 20:00 it will more likely fit into your eating habits.

maybe I could try this . I inject at 07:00 11 units of Levemir and it seem that it doesnā€™t work very well in winter. I give an example: last night two hours after eating dinner I was at 137 and when I woke up, I was at 307!!! Holger told me to put more units of Levemir but maybe it will be better to make two shots. I must think about that! As I told a new member, I learn a lot with you , my friends.

This probably dosent relate to your theory here but one time I thought I took double the amount of my lantis . It turned outni really didnā€™t but I could have been dead by morning if i really did. Lol.

Lantus stings because itā€™s acidic, something that bothers everyone.

Lantus never worked close to 24 hours for me. I started splitting doses even though my endo said this was unnecessary. He was more interested in what the pharm reps claimed for their product than what I experienced. I noticed peaks with Lantus that I donā€™t have with Levemir.

sorry but i dont get wut ur problem with Lantos is exactly? But I dont find Lantos such a bad thing I inject myself with Lantos like everyday at a fixed time which is 8 pm every day. I take 15 units daily. Iā€™ve never experienced anything unusual. It sting me a lil bit wen i inject it but thats normal i guess cuz i get that stingy feeling with the other fast acting insulin i take ( The Humalog).

Prior to pumping and for my pumping ā€œvacationsā€ at one time I used Lantus. I found that it burned incessantly and never lasted the full 24 hours. There were times it wouldnā€™t even last 12 hours. I have since switched to Levemir for my pump vacations. Levemir does last 12 hours for me when I do use it.

Levemir does not last 24 hours - as mentioned above itā€™s only approved for 12 hour use. So you would do 2 injections of Levemir a day.

I take Lantus every morning with no problems. When I took it at night I was a little low by morning.

hi moody kay i have been on lantus for about 5 yrs, been doing real good so far, i didnt have training from educator, she guide me thru, i started with her a1c was 11.2,now they are 7.0,do you all have team of doctors to monitor your bsl

When I was on Lantus, before beginning insulin pumping, I had only one bad experience. It occurred when I injected my evening Lantus dose immediately before getting into a hot bathtub (not a hot tub, mind you, just a traditional bathtub.) My blood glucose started dropping and dropping - incredibly fast! Fortunately, I survived without injury by eating glucose tabs and drinking juice. Then my BG was high the entire next day (seemingly because I used up all the Lantus in a short period of time.) The next day, after this mysterious episode, I went to the book on Insulin Dependent Diabetes written by the wonderful Dr. H. Peter Chase, M.D. and published by the Childrenā€™s Diabetes Foundation in Denver, CO. In that book Dr. Chase advises against getting into a bathtub or shower immediately after injecting Lantus. I believe his recommended wait time is 1/2 hour. Hope this helps!
!

this does help greatly thanks so much