Leaky Gut Syndrome

I have recently learned of leaky gut syndrome. Some seem to think it is a factor in nearly all, if not all, autoimmune disease. My understanding is that it is caused by diet. I have Type 1 diabetes and Hashimotos and am wondering if leaky gut syndrome played a part the development of my autoimmunity. You can supposedly heal a leaky gut by completely eliminating wheat, night shade vegetables, and a few other things. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this and if you have, if you have noticed any improvement in your autoimmune disease.

Hi,
I have been studying and researching and experimenting with this for quite a while. You could look into the GAPS diet. I have been on it for a few years. Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride, who wrote the GAPS diet(Gut and Psychology Syndrome) can be seen on youtube.com stating that she thinks type 1 diabetics can heal on her program. I am still hopeful we can heal, but I am still taking a small amount of insulin in 5 shots a day. I use bone broth, and fermented vegetables, like kimchee and sauerkraut to heal my gut. I am also on a ketogenic diet with high amounts of fat. See The Cantin Ketogenic Diet for Cancer Type 1 Diabetes and Other Ailments, by Elaine Canton. Hope this helps. We can all heal!
Aimee