Learning how to run/ getting active again and insulin?

Hi,

I’m new to the group though I’ve had an account for awhile. I was wondering if anyone had advice on basil settings for running. At this point, I think I can use the 85% I use for long distance walks. As I get better at running through I’m going to need some help. What do you guys do? Any food or emergency tips?

Thanks!

Meg

Meg, I may not be as " serious" with running as you :slight_smile: ; I am a walker and have done full , halves and shorter distances …I put my basal close to one hour before starting time ( at the actual " marathon " day ) to 45 percent …at the crossing line I stop the temp basal , followed by a .2 u bolus( this amount maybe different for you ) to avoid the highs to be expected after strenuous exercise . This has worked well for me this past w/e , while in Calgary AB, Canada for a 10 K stint and a 1/2 M , October 2009 elsewhere …A pump buddy of mine, Canadian Olympic Rower, Marathoner Chris Jarvis shared this with me .
Testing this out is the secret ! …we are all different .
Have FUN and be well .

First, join the Athletic Diabetics group, where this subject comes up ALL THE TIME.

Second, keep doing what you’ve been doing, since its working for you.

Third, get a copy of “The Diabetic Athlete” by Sherri Colberg or read the section on exercise in “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh.

Food tips.

Nosh something light before you go out. About 15g of carbs. A fruit. Half a peanut butter sandwich. A glass of milk. Carry carbs with you in the form of glucose tabs, running gels and/or a diluted sports drink. Not essential on a short (30 minute) outing - critical on a longer outing.

Emergency tips.

First of all, avoid emergencies. Always carry your meter. I have a spare (Ultra Mini) that I use exclusively when running. Test at regular intervals. For me that’s half-way through a short run, every 30 minutes on a long run. Eat carbs BEFORE your BG goes low, because whatever number you see, your BG is going to go lower. Soon. For instance, if your BG was 140 when you started and is 100 30 minutes later, EAT SOME CARBS NOW because you’ll drop below 80 very shortly. If you don’t run with a partner or group, always tell someone you’ll be out running, what your route will be and when you expect to be back. If you are with a partner or group, make sure someone knows you’re on insulin. Always carry ID and something that identifies you as a diabetic using insulin. Always carry a few bucks with you. Wear clean underwear. Without holes. Obey traffic laws. Remember that the driver at the corner doesn’t see you even if he’s looking right at you, and that your tibia will lose every contest with the bumper of a 2,000 pound automobile. (Emergency rooms are full of runners who had the right of way.) Never flip off or swear at a driver. Wear bright clothes. Make sure your shoes fit. Carry your keys. Wear sunscreen. Finish your education. There’s more, but I’m starting to ramble.

What I Do

I only lower my basal on runs that will last an hour or more. Otherwise I don’t bother. When I do lower it, I lower it to 50% starting 1.5 to 2.0 hours before the run and time it to revert to normal at the end of my run. While monitoring during a run I don’t let my BG get much below 100 if I can help it, because, as mentioned above, it’s on the way down and dropping fast.

On longer runs I check my BG every 30 minutes or so, add a sports drink to my water so I’m consuming carbs while I’m hydrating and consume about 15 g of carbs every 30 mins or so. Your mileage will vary.

Some people swear by CGM’s during exercise - I’ve found mine to be good for telling me how fast my BG is dropping or if it’s staying level but it is completely unreliable in terms of telling me what my BG actually is at the moment.

Come on over and join the group. And as Nel says, we are all different.

Terry

Oh, one more thing. Never ever ever put basil in your pump. :slight_smile:

thanks that’s very helpful. I’m just starting out with all this. Recently started an internship that involves staring at a computer screen, and I need to move!

As for spelling…I think all the seizures at four wiped that ability out! Though you never know. Maybe a nice pesto in the pump would have great effects?

Pesto is too thick. A nice Pinot Grigio though . . . or Chianti . . .

I take long brisk walks, and besides having fast acting carbs with me, I always carry something like peanut butter crackers for sustaining the low treatment. I don’t run however, but you may want to keep something like this on you when you do. I have heard from other PWD that brisk walking seems to bring sugar down faster and harder than running (maybe due to adrenaline release with strenous exercise?)? I always seem to go low after a brisk walk - haven’t figured out what to do with my basals yet as a new pumper (have been experimenting but nothing in stone yet for me). I am definitely not the running type.

I think if i put that in my pump we’d have more than a few problems!