Left insulin in car overnight is it ok?

Hi Everyone,

I left my novolog penfill nearly full in my car overnight. It’s pretty hot here today in high 80’s. I took it out around 1-2 pm. Think it’s ok? I can fill my pump 2-3 more times with it so I don’t want to toss it if not necessary of course. The car has a cover.

1 Like

I did a demo of this on a different diabetes forum, but I don’t think I am supposed to post the link on this site.

I left a vial of insulin in my car for 4 days in June. My car was parked in the sun, and I live in the south. It was extremely hot. I did it on purpose, as a demo since everyone worries about it. Then I used the insulin and posted the Dexcom line showing how well the insulin was still working. I took some of the insulin and it dropped me straight down.

Anyway it works fine. If you google the phrase “car baked insulin”, I think it’s one of the first few links, you can see the demo.

2 Likes

Is the insulin clear or cloudy? I personally wouldn’t chance it. There are always plenty of other things we CAN’T figure out at the time that make our BG go crazy.

1 Like

My question is, did you marinate it beforehand or use a dry rub?

3 Likes

Thanks I will look for that post. I’m guessing it’s ok maybe since it was only a few hours.

1 Like

What do you mean marinate etc? It’s clear so I think it’s ok. I remember someone said too cold is worse than heat.

It’s just a joke. Nothing more…and I watch too much “Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.”

1 Like

I think the visual test for cloudiness that @Timbeak48 suggested is an excellent idea.

I can share an experience we had that is somewhat relatable although not a direct comparison like @Eric2’s. We went to Italy in August. Even though @cynthia_rogers had shared her own similar experience while she was in Italy, when we traveled from Rome to Tuscany, I left Caleb’s insulin in the Rome hotel’s fridge! Ack!! I knew we had the option of going to a local hospital (thanks Cynthia) and asking for insulin, so we were ready for that as plan B. But what we did is let Caleb’s Pod run with the insulin it had while our insulin was sent to us via carrier without ice or any coolant, overnight in the August heat. I had no idea what the conditions were in which the insulin was kept, but I assumed it was hot.

It was Apidra, which I feel is more susceptible to heat than Novolog. It worked just fine. If you are in a situation where you can change it out quickly if you need to and it’s not cloudy, I think it’s worth a try. I imagine no doctor would suggest the same.

I think this is the “Baked Insulin” link to which @Eric2 is referring.

7 Likes

Thanks Lorraine,

I’ll try it most likely. I’m glad you got Caleb’s insulin and it all worked out.

1 Like

Based on the one comment about it dropping bg, assuming quickly based on the context, might be cautious on when/if you bolus with it until you get comfortable with it’s reaction time (assuming you proceed to use it). Another thing might be it’s life if it’s still “normal”, it might be shortened.

1 Like

I had this same concern. We used what we needed to get through the trip, but when we got home I used fresh insulin just to be on the safe side.

the box should state the highest temp the insulin can get to. I think mine is below 86 degrees F. I don’t let mine get above ~75 I keep the air conditioning running for my room temp insulin and for comfort…but I would not leave it in a hot car would put it in some cooler with ice to keep it cool. I kept the packaging the pharmacy mail order sent my insulin in last time. I have the packs in the freezer and the styrafoam box to use if I have to travel in the car in heat.

1 Like

Funny.