Less than a 4 mile run and no residual BG drop, more and it drops for 24 hours, what gives?

So dx’d less than a year ago. Decided to run a half marathon in July.

Usually when running, I just eat some fruit or take glucose tabs to cover exercise. My BG stops lowering the minute I stop. I know that if I do any form of strength-training I also have to turn down my insulin because it’ll drop for hours.

Now that I am running more than 4 miles at a time, my BG is dropping for 12+ hours after.

This is less of a training question and more of a scientific one…

Is there a threshold we can reach where our metabolism changes how it uses glucose/fat? or cause a residual BG drop?

Do you have one? What is it?

I dont know metabolism stuff - but i know for me the 1st couple months i increased my milage i would have the same problem i could not take enough gel shots to cover my long runs it seemed - i would even have to stop home or at the car for real food or a cliff bar to make it through my 12+mile runs- but after my body got used to and expected the long run - i would hardly drop at all. then after my half marathon i stopped my long runs and it then seemed no amount of insulin would cover my normal meals. - not really an answer to your question just a life story i guess

You seem to be experiencing an extreme case of it, but your metabolism definitely changes as you train. I think the thresholds vary depending on person, how trained you were when you started the current program, etc. As far as I know, there’s no formula for knowing how to adjust your insulin dosage/carb intake.

That is what happens to me as well. I have competed in 4 marathons and it was great because I had to snack all day everyday every 2 or so hours to keep my shugs up. The minute I stopped the long runs, if I just looked at food my shugs jumped through the roof. Now I have switched to more camping, backpacking, and ranch work on the weekends I do real well during the day but after a good dutch oven meal I bloat up like a goat and my shugs are out the door. www.thediabeticcamper.blogspot.com