Lets kick off this Month of November with everyones Diaversary!?

Well, mine is approximately April 19th, 1967. I had gone into hospitals for some minor surgery, and was found to be diabetic in the standard admissions tests. I had to give up my hopes of a military career.

2 Likes

Birthdays again; I was diagnosed on my mothers birthday 27th of January 1982. No symptoms before that, just a routine check-up that found sugar in my urine. Because of that they sent me to a diabetes clininc where I spent a whole day, ate as I normally would and checked my blood sugar before and after every meal. Don´t think I ever got higher than 11 mmol/l (200 mg/dl) that day, so I guess I was diagnosed early. 35 yars is coming up.

1 Like

Roger212, my daughter was crushed upon learning that she would have to give up her hopes of joining the military as a segue into the FBI.

I’m still miffed at the nurse that told my daughter “Don’t worry, you can still do anything in the world you want to do with diabetes.” And the hospital endo who said (you guessed it!): “You’re lucky to be diagnosed now because there’ll be a cure in 5 to 10 years.”

I certainly do, though even if they were free I’d still pay whatever I could afford not to have to use them ever again. :wink:

I was at a party with a friend of mine about three years after my diagnosis. He assured me that within ten years genetic research would provide a cure. This was in 1970, so I hope 1980 comes soon. I also remember an old friend of mine asking "Are you still diabetic?" Well, I've rock-climbed, rappelled, hiked for miles and miles, gone on week long or longer outdoor and wilderness camps (including -30º winter camps), long distance bicycling, canoe trips, sailing, but my doctor wouldn't allow me to go skydiving, so there are limits. It's not entirely trrue that you can llve a normal life with diabetes, ir only because normal lives don't include taking four or five injections a day, or testing your blood four to six times a day.

I hope your daughter is doing OK. How long has she had diabetes, and how old when she was diagnosed?

Have a good day/ week/ year/ whatever.

Roger

On 08 November 2016 at 09:59 rgcainmd <tudiabetes@discoursemail.com> wrote:

rgcainmdParent of a Type 1

November 8

Roger212, my daughter was crushed upon learning that she would have to give up her hopes of joining the military as a segue into the FBI.

I'm still miffed at the nurse that told my daughter "Don't worry, you can still do anything in the world you want to do with diabetes." And the hospital endo who said (you guessed it!): "You're lucky to be diagnosed now because there'll be a cure in 5 to 10 years."

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

Roger212

November 7Well, mine is approximately April 19th, 1967. I had gone into hospitals for some minor surgery, and was found to be diabetic in the standard admissions tests. I had to give up my hopes of a military career.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

My son (Liam’s) Diaversary was February 29th, 2016. I’ll always remember that date because, well, it changed my life forever, but also because it was the 29th of Feb, leap year, which doesn’t happen every year.

2 Likes

At 49 years old, the night before a wedding anniversary vacation to Hawaii, my primary care doctor called and said “don’t get on the plane, you need to come in tomorrow.” Several weeks after surgery for a sports hernia I had developed classic diabetes symptoms. Bloodwoork showed an A1C of 13+, and a BG of over 1300. Thankfully I wasn’t in DKA! Confirmed shortly after that I was officially a T1. It’s been quite the ride since! I had a wonderful honeymoon for more than a year, and then many learning experiences including 4 ambulance trips to the ER for hypoglycemic issues. I was able to add Dexcom to my team last spring, which has been life changing! I’m still learning every day how to deal with not having a functioning pancreas!

3 Likes