Life is Peachy and Corny - and that's just the beginning!

I love summertime. Right now I am enjoying the scents of peaches and nectarines as they ripen in the bowl! And the sweet corn is just delicious, steamed and buttered and salt and peppered!!

The squash, hot peppers, bicolor corn, and tomatoes are not ready for picking in my own garden quite yet but when they are I will be enjoying them - even more than the store bought produce. After those there will be beets, red carrots, and apples!!!

I hope that your summer fare is delicious, the sight, the scent, and the fill. I know that lots of folks don't enjoy fruit as I do, but if you did I'd happily share. A ripe fresh peach is worth the bolus I tell ya or at least a few in the fruit bowl will smell up your kitchen in a delicious way.

What an upbeat and delicious description of summer! It's my favorite season, too. I've always thought that you could distill the ultimate essence of summer by eating ice-cold watermelon in the shade of big tree on a 100 degree F. day. Spitting seeds without a care in the world!

I remember as a child back in the early 70's as our family would go on vacation to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Once we entered Baldwin County, my mother always wanted to stop at the first road-side vegetable stand. Back then the roads toward Gulf Shores had plenty of family owned fresh off the farm vegetable stands. Dad would stop at the first available and opened stand. Mother would pick through and gather fresh unshucked corn, butter beans, black eye peas, okra, tomatoes and a watermelon. Some of the stands even sold bottles of ice, ice cold Nehi grape sodas or orange drinks. OH! man those grape and or oranges sodas were the best tasting drink on earth. Once we arrived at our beach house, unload, my sister and I had to shuck the corn and snap the beans. Meanwhile dad would drive over to the nearest place that sold fresh seafood. He would come back with several pounds of steamed shrimp. Mom would add some of the shrimp into the pot of gumbo that was made from all the fresh vegetables that was picked up earlier. That was some GOOD eating! Time for some insulin.

Sounds like a beautiful painting!

We don't have enough sun anymore for my own veggie garden but I have been trying some blueberries unsuccessfully so far since I thought they liked part sun and I have some stevia and rhubarb on the way. I have been buying local produce which has been mostly yummy though.

I have a bumper crop of tomatoes again this year! I stand in my garden and pop cherry tomatoes in my mouth. I also just planted a Bearss lime, a Eureka lemon, and a Meyer lemon. Thanks for the great post, Karen!

Aw, thanks everyone, it is nice to see so many nice replies and lovers of fresh stuff. I can't wait to get the "bumper crop". It just figures though. I take real good care of my garden, it gets to listen to music all day while I weed, water, and freshen the bed. I watch and wait patiently for months and then BOOM! Please send me your addresses so I can sneak some bumper crop zucchini to your porches while you sleep - LOL!!

I love this time of year too. I grow pole beans in the back yard and tomatoes and herbs and peppers on the deck. I have the good fortune to live near the NJ State Grand Champion for corn for as long as we've lived here, and his corn is to die for! I find it quite difficult to bolus for correctly, sometimes I think it's 30 grams an ear, and sometimes it seems even sweeter. I would rather have good corn than anything else! as we say, it's BOLUS WORTHY.

I also enjoy a whole tomato with a little bit of mayo for breakfast or a snack.

Tomato and mayo?? That's worth trying! I gave a bunch of heirloom tomato plants that I started from seed this year. The neighbor up the street is winning the Biggest Plants Prize this year. Mine are not as big but they are productive. The dentist receptionist (yes, she got plants, too!) gave me this recipe:

Watermelon Salad with Tomatoes, Feta, and Pistachios

Cut up 5 cups of watermelon and 2 cups of heirloom tomatoes, sprinkle with some large grain sea salt, toss and let stand for 15 minutes.
Add 2 tablesppons of EVOO, 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar, and fresh chopped herbs (your choice but mint and dill are nice), and some salth ane pepper to taste.
Toss 3 cups of arugula with a teaspoon of EVOO and divide among 4 plates. Top with melon salad, sprinkle crumbled feta cheese and rough chopped pistachios, and serve!

302 calories, 16.4 g fat, 16mg chol, 323 mg sodium, 28.6 g carb, 8.6 g fiber, 14.8 gr protein

Totally bolus worthy! And DitToe on the corn, Marie. Sweet corn is worth the challenge :)

that watermelon salad is quite delicious, I've never tried it w pistachios though, mmmm

I made this for my husband's lunch today
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/B-l-t-Salad-101893

BLT salad. if you want less carbs, skip the croutons (but they are sooo good)

Summertime, when the living is easy...

What is EVOO?? Never mind, just got it....extra virgin olive oil, it sounded like alien food..lol

Oh I do agree with you. There is nothing so satisfying as going outside to pick veggies & fruit that I have grown myself. This year's berry crop has been amazing, surplus all frozen for the winter. Now it's squash & runner beans, I have to grow my own as you can't buy them here in the US. The only disaster has been the tomatoes which are not happy! Ah well can't have everything.

I remember that as a small child my summer high tea was fresh tomatoes with a lottle bit of sugar sprinkled on them, it really brings out the flavour. This was pre-T1 days/

No skipping anything!! Thanks for this recipe :)