Life

Hey everyone.

A question to anyone who happens to read this… Should I consider an Insulin Pump? I’m really discouraged with giving myself shots… I feel like a pin cushion… lol I hope things get better. I’m soo stressed out with my diabetes… I hope you don’t think I’m using this as a place to gripe… I just need to vent. I talk to my friends and family about it but I don’t want to worry them… I worry them enough. I feel soo bad for my mom. She can’t sleep at night because she stays up worrying about me. I know she’s my mom and that’s her job but I don’t want her to have to worry about me anymore. I just want things to be fine. I just want to be able to count cards, eat right, and feel better. I don’t know how I’ve gone through this the way I have. It was better when I was diagnosed as type 2… Even though I probably didn’t do what I should have. That must be why I digressed into Type 1. It was easy to take a pill twice a day rather than the 5 shots I take now… I’m doing better now that’s all that matters… I’m getting tired of the lows though… If I don’t eat a snack after lunch then I’m shakin’ like a mad man a couple hours later… I’m sorry this is random… just some stuff I wanted to get off my chest… At least I’m over the fears of not waking up in the morning…

Sorry again for the random/griping stuffins that are contained within this here blog.
Have a great evening and a excellent tomorrow!
-Ryan

Hi Ryan
The pump can be a great thing. But you have to be motivated and dedicated for it to be successful. My son Ryan who is almost 14 years old was diagnosed a month before his 4th birthday. He has been on the pump for 6.5 years and his A1Cs run between 6.2 and 6.9. In the past 2 years he has pretty much managed his diabetes by himself. He tests frequently and counts carbs always. He still has a lot to learn about the pump but he is doing an awesome job. Lows still happen but the more you learn the less frequent their occurance. Good Luck I know you can do it!

It would take an awful lot for me to give up my pump! But like the other comment says, don’t do it if you’re not motivated and dedicated to the care it takes. It will be just an expensive gadget if you don’t use it properly. Why don’t you see if you can get a couple pumps from companies to try out before you decide? Talk to your endo about it.

Thanks both of you! I probably won’t be getting a pump for at least another 6 months. I’m going to try and go to some Medtronic classes that are being held at the public library… I went and saw my dietition today and am going to start carb counting and practice using an insulin to carb ratio… I’m not going to use it to take my insulin… just get familiar with it for when my doctor decides to have me use an insulin to carb ratio… anyway… Thanks again for your input about the insulin pump!
-Ryan