Lisinopril to "Save Kidneys" for T1D's

why did you have to stop it ?

It was producing an undesired side effect not connected with diabetes.

I’m not reading posts coz I’m in a hurry, but I got what I FINALLY figured out was “Lisinopril Cough”.

I’d cough nearly constantly for an hour or more. I spent alot of time online looking up things like ‘cough-no symptoms’ and such.

Came upon Lisinopril cough-made of snake venom & can lodge in lungs…

Immediately discontinued it & symptoms greatly improved…

Sorry, a bit late response but ARBs are another alternative that doctors will prescribe in lieu of ACE inhibitor (lisinopril). Early research was on ACE inhibitors only but later research suggests that ARBs have the same protective action, albeit not the same fame, glamour & cough for kidney protection

The whole captopril class of drugs not only help protect renal function from hypertension, but also seem to have some intrinsic nourishing effect on the kidneys independent of the blood pressure reduction which further helps delay the onset of dialysis-dependent renal failure. High blood pressure not only harms the kidneys, but also, as the kidneys decline, this undermines their blood pressure regulating function, so the pressure rises further.

1 Like

Hello:
I have just started year 56 with type 1 and just turned 67 years old.
I have never been on this medication but I do take blood pressure medication ( Losartin )…
I have never attributed high or low blood sugars to any medication I have been prescribed.
I was 11 years old when diagnosed and of course there were no blood glucose monitors available.
I take multiple injections daily and am not on a pump.
Lows for me are usually caused by too much insulin per carbohydrate intake or unexpected physical activity that I did not allow for in my insulin dosage.
It is all a balancing act that so far seems to be working for me fairly well…
I know that doctors want our A1C’s to be “normal” but I find that I feel best when my A1C is 7-7.5 (Canada).

Ray

ACEIs are ACE inhibitors. These are the BP meds that end in pril, like lisinopril. ACE is angiotensin-converting enzyme, which is released from the lungs and converts angiotensin i to angiotensin ii, which in turn stimulates release of aldosterone from the adrenal glands, which constricts the blood vessels, and retains fluid and salt, two mechanisms that help raise blood pressure. Inhibition of ACE puts the brakes on this whole process, and it also increases bradykinin (by inhibiting its degradation) so it can cause a dry cough by bronchoconstriction, which is why doctors sometimes switch the patient from an ACEI to an ARB. ARBs are angiotensin receptor blockers which prevent the stimulation of those receptors so that the whole aldosterone-fueled mechanism that allows for vessel constriction and sodium and water to be retained by the body thereby raising BP is blocked, thereby lowering bp. (Since ARBS allow for the release of ACE, bradykinin is not increased, so there is no dry cough.) Significantly, while sodium and water may be “wasted” with these two classes of drugs, potassium is retained which is why both ACEIs and ARBs can sometimes lead to high levels of potassium.

The problem with the whole captopril class of drugs is that all they do is delay the decline in diabetic renal function, but they can’t prevent it eventually happening, if the patient lives long enough.

Anything I can do to lower the risk seems worthwhile.

Just think if we knew all we knew today, 35 or 50 years ago. It wasn’t until 20 years ago that there was any proof that better bg control lowered the risks for complicatoins.

The alternative is to just hope that someone invents a cure but that seems dang unlikely.