Little "Blips"

I am going to be honest… I am HUMAN and I DO goof up. I don’t like this testing only once a day because I don’t know how things are going through the rest of the day. And prob wont this month have the extra 20.00 to get strips for the Reli-On.

I’ve had a few what I would call " highs" after the 2 hour post meal check.

Numbers like: ( in the past week):

9/19 after dinner 143
9/20 after breakfast 129
9/21 After dinner 134
9/27 after dinner 153
9/29 after lunch 142 =[

Would any of those numbers cause my A1C to bump up from 5.4? I am really worried about that.

Thanks,
Chris

1 Like

An A1c of 5.4 is nothing to worry about. And your numbers will always be higher after you eat. If those numbers are within the 2 hours after you ate, there isn’t an issue.

If you are going to test once a day for informational purposes to know more about how you are trending. When you first get up would be better. Or before you eat lunch or dinner so you can adjust what you eat if needed.

The numbers you post are missing an important element that determines the A1c: time. If your glucose peaks within say two hours after you eat and then quickly returns to < 100, then that will produce a much better A1c than the situation where the post-meal high hangs on for many hours and slowly returns to a baseline level.

Testing once per day is tough if you want reasonable management. An A1c of 5.4% is an excellent non-diabetic number. I don’t remember your case from other threads. Are you newly diagnosed?

@terry4 You lost me on the 1st paragraph. So with those numbers being a bit above 100 its going to show up on my A1c even though my numbers drop eventually and do not hang at those levels?

Yes, I was diagnosed last year at age 36.

Your A1c is based on two factors: how high your glucose level goes and how long it stays there. Reducing either of those factors will reduce your A1c.

1 Like

Those are good numbers. I am impressed you can get that good and not have a pump or multiple test strips. Amazing. Those numbers should get you a good A1c test. I get test strip for 12 bucks a can at Walmart. Not sure why it would cost you so much for them. You do really need to test more often especially before bed. Do you just inject insulin from a vial or pen and guess how much to inject? Before I started using Tresiba I would get dangerously low when asleep. But not all Type 1s get night time hypoglycemia.
I am now using a Tandem x2 slim pump and I love it. And it talks to my Dexcom G6. But I have Medicare and AARP. I take it you are pre-Medicare. Medicare pays for all my insulin that goes into the pump.
If your insurance doesn’t cover test strips then it probably doesn’t cover anything else for diabetes.

Those are great for after meal numbers! If before meals your bgs were in the 80-90 range, they may all average out to an average bg of 105 which would be equivalent to an A1C of 5.4.

2 Likes

@judyC I am a type 2… I was taking Metformin but I have been off of it for a couple months now.

Strips for the Reli-on meter I have are 20.00 after tax for 100 strips.

I know, I like testing more and knowing my numbers but the doctor only wants me to test once a day ( fasting in the morning).

I am no where close to getting medicare LOL… I am only 37 and I only have medicade.

My Medicade pays for my meter and strips but currently they’re only paying for once a day because that’s all he wants me to do which to me is BS! If I don’t get the CGM then I will prob have him up the strips prescription.

I would think if you are not on medication I doubt you could get a CGM. I will say times need to change so type 2’s can get a Libre. Nancy50

2 Likes