Live from NY..It's Monday Night

Monday night I am in the city that doesn’t sleep, not sleeping. This is my first travel with the pump. Thanks to Lea, I had an idea about how to prepare in terms of supplies. When I did manage to set off the security alarm, I took off every piece of jewelry, my belt – I do have metal in my jaw from TMJ surgery, but what is a girl to do? In the end, it was, indeed, my pump. What an odd feeling as they took EVERYTHING out of my carry-on, opened my glucostrips and checked my lancet. These people need a life. I felt so…vulnerable; and, while I’m used to feeling vulnerable, I’m used to doing so privately.

Somehow, we know it takes all of these extraneous things to get through our daily lives in the best possible way, but we don’t really encounter all of those things at one time. Seeing them all together as if gathered for a casual get-together, fingered by a stranger, I suddenly became aware that having diabetes is greater than the sum of its parts. It takes more than just the insulin (but doesn’t insulin cure diabetes?). It takes all of this stuff that we have to physically carry with us (infusion sets, lancets, glucometers, glucotabs, glucostrips, alcohol swabs, syringes, snacks, extra batteries…). It takes the emotional/psychological tools which, to me, seem heavier: stick-to-itiveness, patience with one’s self, patience with others, patience with all of our life-enhancing medical gagdets.

Things I learned on my short excursion:

1) Take more than you think you will need.
2) Carry an extra infusion set in my bag of bags.
3) The pump screen emits enough light to help me see in the dark.
4) A gin and tonic has 22 carbs (!).
5) I can do this.

Happy travels.

Last time I went through airport security in Phoenix, they somehow lost a container of 10 glucose tabs. I’m glad I had backups. Security is usually pretty of aware of what the diabetes gadgets are. The hardest part at security was removing my diabetes medical bracelet.

While in NY, if you visit the Statue of Liberty, you will go through security procedures much like airport security. However, if I remember correctly, you CAN keep your shoes on.