LIVING with Diabetes Contest Entry: Group 1

All of us who are Diabetics, are effected by this disease on a daily basis. Some more than others and everyone chooses to address and deal with it in a different way. For me, I have been a Diabetic for 20 years now, I probably haven’t treated as seriously as I should have until recently. Up until a year ago, my life has been about taking care of myself and doing what is best for me. Well, in some respects I failed at this. I very rarely tested my blood or visited the doctor. I based everything on how I felt. Luckily, for me, I am still here today. The true turning point in my life that really made me stand back, look at my life and really take an active roll in living with my Diabetes was when I married my wife. At that point in my life, I was no longer just living for myself but I had 2 other people in my life that I had to think of: My wife and her daughter. We then had our first child together and reality really set in. I now have 3 people that depend on me everyday to provide for and keep the family together. The only way I can do this is to be there for them and this would not be possible if I did not take care of my Diabetes. Diabetes not only dictates my life but the life of the 3 most important people in my life. So everyday, when I wake up and think “Another day of injections and blood tests that are a pain (literally)” all I need to do is walk into my baby girls room and see her sleeping there like a little angel she is and all the pain, inconvenience and frustration just fades away into nothing. I will test my blood a thousand times a day and take injections until I was black and blue, if it meant that my family was happy and stable for another day. Diabetes changes and effects a persons life everyday much like a family does. My family has helped me realize how important it is to live and embrace Diabetes like it is the last day of your life, because you never know when that last day will come. I can only hope that my active involvement in the Diabetes community and my increased awareness of my Diabetes management will give me the ability to provide for my family and allow me to give them the life they deserve.

This may not be a detailed description of how I live with Diabetes, but anyone who has a family, I hope, can relate to these words.

I live with Diabetes everyday. I live for my family everyday. Therefore, Diabetes is a part of my family and I will do whatever it takes to make sure my family is taken care of.

- Chris