Lonely/rant

i’m lonely is there anyone on here that has prediabeties or type 2 diabetes that would be willing to let me follow them on here? so i can see how other people with these conditions live there live. if you know of and good blogs on these that are active and current that would be good as well. if you are the above i have twitter, snapchat and instagram an would love to follow people on those as well. post in the comments or private message me if you don’t want to post in the comments. i will private message you my social media if you want.

i just need to rant
i’m afraid, worried, scared, anxious, concerned, new to this.
i’m a medically diagnosed pediabetic. the last month or so i have been feeling dizzy and week in between meals and 1 to 2 hours after meals i sweat so much that it runs down my face, arms and legs. i think it is from my blood sugars going low and/or high. yes i HAVE been to see the doctor. and they want to know what my blood sugar is doing on a regular basis. so i was prescribed 100 test strips and 100 lancets with the test strips the meter is free. i get them by prescription as then they are covered by extended health benifts. so for the next 3 months i will be testing my blood sugar once a day at a different time each day. to see what it is doing.

1 Like

You are not alone here. There are other members that are prediabetic. This site was created so that no diabetic of any type should be alone.

I am Type 2 and I am 25 years into this disease.

Welcome @Diane_D

3 Likes

Well, of course, I think RADiabetes is a wonderful blog, but I am partial. :slight_smile:

I also like:

BitterSweet

Diabetes Diet

Diabetesalicious

Diabetes Ramblings

LifeinDogYears

Scotts Diabetes

Six Until Me

I know I missed many including Brians. Who has some to add?

2 Likes

(Type 1 but relevant for people on insulin therapy of any diagnosis - in my opinion)

4 Likes

Hard to digest when you get that diagnosis. I started Metformin along with the meter and testing. Now many meds later I feel great. I eat great. Meaning I like a healthier diet. Life is better when things aren’t out of whack. My bp is in range. If it takes meds it takes meds.

2 Likes

I’ve had T2 for seven years, since I was nearly 70. Medication , diet and exercise are the keys to T2 to keep you fit and healthy. It is just the beginning of a new phase of your life, enjoy.

2 Likes

Hello…it is a scary, intimidating and at times demoralizing diagnosis! I was prediabetic for 2 years combining an active lifestyle with some not great food choices (I love chips & dip and soda (especially Roor beer)). After an injury kept me inactive, my A1C crept up and I joined a program called Building Resistance to Cardiovascular and Diabetes (through our local health district). I learned a lot about the importance of exercise and diet during the program and was able to participate in the group exercise which included both cardiovascular and weight training exercises. I got a meter and test strips through my work insurance and did daily morning fasting blood sugars & usually 3 other tests at various times throughout the day. The program lasted 12 weeks at the end of it I had another A1C test done, while it was a bit lower I was still diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. For 2 years I was able keep my A1C coming down through diet and exercise but after a fall last October my exercise regimen crashed also and I had a big jump in my A1C to the point that I got scared and started Metformin in May of this year. I’m still struggling to have a decent fasting blood sugar but my post meal 2 hour readings are almost always within the range that was set for me. This website has provided me with excellent information including some recipes. I am going for my next A1C next week and when my doctor reviews the results with me I imagine that we will adjust the Metformin upwards (I take 1250 mg a day now) and I will be asking her to consider what else I can do to get the morning reading to go down. I don’t post much anywhere, but if you would like you can message me to chat.

Diane D . know how you feel sorry you have to deal with this so young. like this one and diabetes daily
it is based out of UK. but seem to have more people responding. I watched some research for a cure video’s
that has helped me deal. their are some very good people working on a cure . though most of diabetes vets.
don’t like to talk about that. had their hopes of a cure dashed to many times I guess. anyway your young
maybe you can right the ship and not get the db hope so good luck.

I have been prediabetic for four years now. I recall being shocked when my doctor told me that I was on my way to becoming diabetic. He advised exercising and cutting down on sugar. But I already was on a very restrictive diet due to celiac disease and I exercise a lot. I was not going to give up gluten free cupcakes without a fight. Did research and started testing like crazy which confirmed that I was insulin resistant. I modified my diet (lower carb) based on my meter results. My doctor and I agreed that we would monitor me for TD1 since it is linked to celiac disease. So far, we think I am a type 2.

You can do this! There is a normal grieving process. Your best defense is to research, learn, treat and move forward.

I’m Type I but have had the same feelings for 52 years. You might try testing twice a day at different times and record your results in a logbook or notebook. Record comments such as what you ate and when. I don’t know which meter you’re using but many can be downloaded at your doctors office.

When you’re feeling sweaty or shaky, test. If your bg is low eat two or three lifesavers or even a teaspoon of sugar and wait 20 minutes. That’s usually enough sugar to make you feel better and bring your bg back to normal. Most of us have gone through the “raid the pantry and I can’t shove enough high sugar crap in my mouth fast enough” syndrome before and then we’re stuck with high bg for hours afterward. If you’re high, take a brisk walk - doesn’t have to be long but it helps your insulin kick in to bring it down.

Boy oh boy, you are not alone! There’s millions of diabetics out there and newer better medications have been developed.

There are a number of medical groups that offer free diabetes classes, nutrition for diabetics, just do some google searches for your area. The more you know, the better it is and can make your life as a diabetic easier. It’s good to meet people with the same questions and struggles.

2 Likes

Welcome to the group. I have had this for 25 years. Many days I go about my routine. Get up test,everyday. It is like brushing my teeth,routine. I know my carb counts by heart. Once in a while I may eat something special. I test 4 times a day. Do water aerobics 3-4 times a week. Plus garden mow,shovel depending on the season. Life is good, doing what I want to do. It took me almost a year to get my ducks in a row so to speak. Nancy

2 Likes

I was a hot mess when diagnosed T2 7 year ago. Following blogs & some diabetes sites proved indispensable to me. I calmed down quite a bit after reading Gretchen Becker’s book “The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed.” Knowledge is power.
The lifestyle changes I made in the first year =thriving with diabetes.
Be well!

5 Likes

Gretchen’s book is excellent. Hope you read it. Nancy

2 Likes

How are you doing? Nancy