Losing Eyelashes?

Just curious…has anyone had eyelashes falling out, resulting in a bald patch? I had it happened to my left eye only and it isn’t getting better. I’m thinking it’s either an allergy or autoimmune. My thyroid levels are normal and I went to a dermatologist who thinks it’s stress related, but thought it strange in only one eye. Not sure who to go to now…an allergist, ophthalmologist or endo?

Hi bjm2363, you can take a look at this web site as it may provide you with some answers:

It may also be that you have some sort of infection on your eyelids which can affect your lashes. There are some common fungal infections that can occur and they can irritate your eyelids and lashes, cause buildup and loss of eyelashes. You might not even notice if you don’t look close. Your ophthalmologist can be very helpful in diagnosing such issues. There are a variety of topical treatments that they might suggest as treatment.

1 Like

Thank you…I made an appointment with an ophthalmologist for March 30th, so hopefully it will get resolved. I was worried it was some other autoimmune disease or related somehow.

I’ve read lots of places that the “third third of the eyebrow” falling out is a symptom of hypothyroidism. Does anyone have a reference better than just “folk wisdom” of this?

(I don’t know what - a human correlation trial, an animal study of induced hypothyroidsm, or a cellular finding that thyroid hormone sensitivity in the follicle stem cells of the eyebrows fall off as you move from the center out, so the outer parts are the first to go when thyroid gets low)

Yes dear ones, the same happened to me, I was told it’s allergy. So I started to take pills plus to apply a natural serum, in my case it was Cherish Lash conditioner. Incredible but I restored them step by step. Looking normally now. And how did you progress?