Lost, 1 week post T1 diagnosis

We are at Mt. Washington as well. I have heard some not so good stories from Children's in DC - apparently from one main endo. I know two other people who have switched from one to the other.

Here is a thought -- it may or may not be helpful. I hope it does not add to your worries though (but in your position I would want to hear it). My child turned out to have celiac and t1d, with the t1d being diagnosed first. WHat we found was on the celiac diet (strictly no gluten) my son produces MUCH more insulin -- and he has had a LONG honeymoon (still going at 2 1/2 years post t1d diagnosis). I suggest you get your child tested for celiac antibodies, and if he tests positive for antibodies (the TTG or DGP or EMA - hope I have that correct)-- try removing gluten and it might help your child produce even more insulin. I wish we had identified earlier the t1d in my son, and I think had we known about the celiac too, he could have been free of the insulin for a long time!

I think (as a separate thing, aside from whether you decide to test for celiac) -- know that, for some reason, blood sugar spikes from carbs seem to be highest for most people (diabetic or not) first thing in the morning. SO the carby breakfast in particular seems to be a very bad idea! If you are serving cereal or toast for breakfast, maybe you can find a way around that, and it might help a lot. Have you figured out when the blood sugar spikes, in general? Is there a pattern? Keep in mind that foods that taste sweet (like an orange or berries) are not necessarily the ones that spike the blood sugar.

Here is another suggestion, ask the doctor to check his Vitamin D status, and if low, start supplementing. That is thought to help with the honeymoon (correcting the Vit D level, if it is deficient).

Please take care of yourself.
I know how tough it is.

I hope it helps to hear,my t1d son is doing very well, and 2 1/2 years into the t1d diagnosis (and even with the additional celiac dx) he is a happy child. Yours will be happy too, and you are doing a great job, being on here getting advice, and doing what you can. Having read some of the other comments, I think you have great advice coming from other parents here. Don't feel stressed to follow all advice immediately -- just take it in, think about it, and proceed at a comfortable pace. Good luck to you and your child!

Update on Aidan. So we started a half unit last Sat 5/4 after a week of steadily climbing numbers by friday we were into the 350's. Since then he has not hit 200 in almost a week now, so relieved that were not chasing something now. This Friday he is going to have his endoscopy, turns out he had more symptoms than just a pos blood test. Completely broke down in the car out side the grocery store last night (by myself) after seeing all the food in the store that he will not be able to eat. Just want to stuff his face and let him enjoy these last few days of the life he knows now. It's going to be hard to try to explain to him why he cannot have goldfish crackers anymore, I know that sounds dumb but for a 3 year old small things are huge to them.

I was just talking to a friend with a child with celiac and she described a similar breakdown. People saying "there are so many gf options these days" did not help her, just made her peeved. It is so hard when it is your child- we carry such a burden for them. You have a lot you are dealing with- I hope your family gets some quiet moments just to relax enjoy the spring and each other. These moments make a difference.

Gluten-free Goldfish Cracker Recipe!
http://gvzs.blogspot.com/2013/03/gluten-free-goldfish-crackers.html?m=1

Hugs,
Jen