Lost

How many of you have been lost?

I spent many years of little to no testing, injecting by feel, and feeding my insulin.

Why I never tested much is a difficult question to anwwer. I knew I should. I actually tried at times. I saw my doctors regularly enough. I think there are a few reasons. Maybe some of you can relate.

I could never see much reason to test. Now I consider myself a smart person, above intelligence and able to resolve many difficult problems. I am a professional accountant, a management consultant, and a computer programmer. I’ve been told I’m very good at producing to requirements. That is, I get things done. I found that when I tested I was just as lost as when I didn’t. I saw no good results. My doctors mage dosing changes and dietitians made diatary changes, but my BGs stayed the same: wonky! I was lost!

I asked for help. I asked one doctore to see me every month and to basically whip me into shape. Doctors don’t have time for that. Nor, as I’ve discovered in recent years, do they really understand the ins and outs of daily management. They see hundreds if not thousands of cases, but in the majority of cases, they are guessing as to what treatments should be.

I even tried changing my own regimen. Those old lantus one and two shots a day programs were brutal. I decided to buy some regular and take it every meal. I did that about a month and actually had decent control. When I told my doctor, I thought he’d get mad, but he didn’t. He simply corrected my regime and added some Ultra-lente. I was happy, he was happy, and I slid right back into the fog.

I have no idea what my A1Cs were in the 80’s and 90’s. i actually don’t know what my A1C’s were before March 2006. It was 7.3% then which wasn’t too bad for winging it. Retinopathy and way too many severe hypos says things weren’t that good all the time.

So how did I find my control? Pumping! More later …