Low Blood Sugar Mental Experiences

Yes, I know what you mean about conditioning. Its just like with me–sometimes if I’m having a bad low, my legs feel a bit shaky. But because of my back pain, every now and then, it affects the nerves in my legs and makes them a little shaky. So I find the need to check extra times, just to make really sure.

Driving once I started seeing double. You’'d think that would be a warning sign wouldn’t you. I tried to think of why I would be seeing double. But I couldn’t think of a reason. I closed one eye and that fixed it so my mind says okay I don’t need to figure out why I’m seeing double I can just keep one eye closed. But then I realise Its not entirely a good idea to keep one eye closed like I’m going to have to open both eyes before long. And maybe I can just open both eyes for a little while at a time and the plan is good. But eventually it occurs to me that closing one eye while driving while seeing double and continuing to drive is a mistake. Something must be wrong. And I make the connection to needing glucose.

While sleeping I got so cold. We were camping. My brain said there must be a blizzard because its so cold and I believed it. It was an unlikely cause but that was the most sensible idea to me. I didn’t wake up that morning.

While walking it felt like the distance to go was impossibly long. It was very confusing and I feared I would get lost. Then I sat down to rest a little while. And blacked out. People say I was talking nonsense.

2 Likes

Since I had a bad low today, let me jump in on this thread. For me, when the low is particularly intense like mine was today, I start getting really scared, paranoid, and negative. :scream: It can get really dark for me because I’m usually an optimist. I know I’m hypo-unaware, which is why I wear a CGM. My CGM tipped me off, I checked to confirm, and yep, I was trending low. (Note: I’ve just adjusted my low alert up from 70 to 80 mg/dL). I work for a tech company, so I headed to the fridge and grabbed a soda. All would have been fine, most likely, had I not taken some insulin.

However, I was scared I’d over treat by drinking the soda and hoped the insulin was just enough to balance it out. Nope.

Instead, 90 minutes later I had a REALLY bad low. This one I could feel because I was so low. I checked and I was 31mg/dL. I grabbed some gummy bears from the kitchen and chased those with glucose tablets.

While this is going on, I’m silently freaking out because freaking out loud at work would have panicked everyone.

Rationally, I know exactly what’s going to happen: I’ll digest the candy, the sugar will enter my bloodstream, and all will be fine.

However, my mind is going in circles with paranoid thoughts: what if walking to the kitchen to get candy is too much activity? or what if I caught it too late and I pass out (everyone around me knows I’m diabetic and my kit is on my desk; they’d call 911)?

I’m also being really irrational, and I’m trying to work. I realize it’s futile. I’m a mess both mentally and physically right now, but I was finally able to calm down. I think because trying to work wasn’t working, so I knew I had to just step back and let the sugar get to my bloodstream.

Of course, it did. This time I had over treated, so I took a small correction. Now almost an hour later, my CGM is telling me my glucose level is too high, but, at least, mentally I’m not spinning. I’ll check in an hour and probably will have to correct. :relieved:

1 Like

Sometimes when my bg is low I’m convinced that I’ve come up with a solution to all the worlds problems. Then my bg comes up and I can’t remember the solution anymore!

Like Aaron above, yes my bg has become so low that my two eyes cannot point the same direction anymore. It doesn’t happen often but has happened at least once.

I’ve gone low during a meeting and told everyone present how wonderful they are and how much I love them. Um, no, I do not usually do that!

Other times, yes, my brain gets stuck in an infinite loop. I can read the same paragraph over and over again when my bg is low and I read every single word yet I have no idea what the paragraph was about. Then I try again and fail again!

2 Likes