Low blood sugar or Nuclear attack?

I most DEFINITELY have had limb twitching and other seizure like symptoms when I had a super low bg. It’s very disconcerting to be at least kinda conscious but arms and/or legs are twitching and only vaguely controllable.

@mohe0001 100 point drops scare the heck out if me. Had one the other day and still don’t know why…

I finally had time to look at my data. For some reason, my basal requirements just dropped dramatically. I found I was able to eat without bolus-ing at all. I had to eat 15 - 30 grams of carb every hour to keep from crashing. I recall being kinda alarmed about a year ago when I saw a huge increase in basal requirements. This go, I was dropping them close to half a unit per hour. Strange diabetes black magic.

How did things turn out, for you, @El_Ver? 100 points is a lot. Did it make you feel like crap? Did you get a visit by your friendly, neighborhood medics? I hope not…

@mohe0001 I felt normal, and thankfully not surprise visits. I did however eat over 400 carbs in a 3 hour period (best day ever!!!). In the back of my mind I know if things completely sideways, I have Glucagon at the ready (everywhere I go). I do however always feel hungover the next day…

I hope your drop hasn’t had any lasting impacts on your regimen or health!

hehehe, I did that too. Pig eating slop - YouTube

I’ll be driving myself on a road trip soon, so I’m doing finishing touches to make sure everything is stable. Should be fine.

1 Like

OMG! @mohe0001 how did you get a video of me? Rotflmaof!

1 Like

I will have near panic attacks and intense hypnogogic imagery with low blood sugar. When this started back in 2011 I thought I had gone insane. Really scared me as I work with mentally ill state prison inmates and I know what it’s like.

1 Like

Thats interesting. Can you explain further, @Rodulf? If not, thats cool, too. Sometimes I wonder if low BG triggers partial seizures, in me, which can be super strange. But, I’ve never known for sure. My Doc and I just speculate.

For me this has been happening since 2011. Low BG triggers uncontrollable thoughts leading to a panic state. What made it worse was I did not know what was going on. I thought I had went insane, had a stroke, developed a neurological condition. As time went on the linkage to hypoglycemia became clear. Still sucks but at least I know I’m not going loony.
I have responded to emergencies involving diabetic inmates having seizures due to low BG so, yes, it definitely can do this.
I’ve read one article by a psychologist who speculated that perhaps 40+% of all diagnosed mental illness in the US may actually be hypoglycemia.
We can beat this. I am not fully diabetic, and I know many of the people here are, but I do understand the problems.

1 Like